Confused about measuring temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BreakYourFrame

Feb 11, 2018
NJ
Hi, new to wood burning but absolutely love heating our home with it so far. We just installed a Timberwolf EPI22 insert but I'm trying to make sure I'm burning at optimal temps (not worried about being too cold more so too hot). I have a basic magnetic thermometer mounted just above the door but what temperatures would be considered safe/ideal for the surface? I understand these can potentially be inaccurate but I figured it was better than nothing as far as having a guide.

Thanks for your help, these forums are full of great info.

If you share a pic of the thermometer and where you have it mounted, I think you’ll get the best answers.

If you share a pic of the thermometer and where you have it mounted, I think you’ll get the best answers.

Attachments

• 151834542482377339450.jpg
    151834542482377339450.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 306
Not familiar with the thermometer but glad to see it isn’t a Rutland as I’ve had only bad luck with them.

It is hard on an insert, as that position probably isn’t going to be as hot as a traditional stove top.

What sort of temps are you seeing for what you believe a hot burn to be?

On the low end, if your burn is leaving you with dirty glass, whatever temp that may be, then I’d say you are too low.

On the stove top, I try and keep an active burn somewhere between 500 and 700 for the cruising temp. For this spot on your insert, perhaps about 400 to 600 would be my guess. How are things looking in that temp range?

Does the air from the blower blow out from under the top lip on the EPI22 or from the sides?

Not familiar with the thermometer but glad to see it isn’t a Rutland as I’ve had only bad luck with them.

It is hard on an insert, as that position probably isn’t going to be as hot as a traditional stove top.

What sort of temps are you seeing for what you believe a hot burn to be?

On the low end, if your burn is leaving you with dirty glass, whatever temp that may be, then I’d say you are too low.

On the stove top, I try and keep an active burn somewhere between 500 and 700 for the cruising temp. For this spot on your insert, perhaps about 400 to 600 would be my guess. How are things looking in that temp range?

Appreciate the response. I've been keeping it around 400 + or - 50 degrees.

Appreciate the response. I've been keeping it around 400 + or - 50 degrees.

If doing that means your glass is staying cleanish or only acquiring a white/gray haze, instead of brown or black, then I'd say those numbers are going to be good for you.

One size does not fit all when it comes to temps.

If doing that means your glass is staying cleanish or only acquiring a white/gray haze, instead of brown or black, then I'd say those numbers are going to be good for you.

One size does not fit all when it comes to temps.

Thanks. For sure, I just wanted to know if that number seemed reasonable. And yes my glass stays mostly clear.

Last edited: