Confused ! Stove Top Temp, Pipe Temp ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
My magnetic pipe thermometer is 13" above the stove top just below the damper on single wall pipe , running at 350 on that thermometer, which is correct , the stove top (directly on top) is 650 , towards the back on the top, temp is higher, my IR thermometer only goes to 700.

I have ordered a Condar magnetic stovetop thermometer so I can monitor that better.

Now that I have explained that, I will ask the questions

I have read people say, to run a stove at 500 to 650 degrees, stove top temp .

Now If I run my stove at 400 on the pipe burn indicator, which is about the middle of the burn zone, the stove top is going to be IDK for sure ,but probably 750 or 800.

So, am I running it to hot ?

According to the zones on the pipe thermometer 275 is the lowest U should run , is that about right?

A thermometer measures the temperaturet, so ,how in hell, can a pipe, or stove top thermometer be any different ?

The simple answer is, yep :p

In other words, you noticed a common problem that we have here. A 400 degree pipe on one stove might mean a 650 degree stove top most of the time, while a 400 degree pipe on another stove could mean a 800 degree stove top for a different setup.

These temps will vary depending on the type of stove, the type of fuel, how the air is adjusted, if how much draft the chimney has, etc, etc.

At the end of the day you know not to take the hottest part of your stove over X, and you know you shouldn't take or keep your stove pipe over Y, so long as what you do with the stove keeps each under those respective values, then you are good. Don't expect X to always correlate with Y.

Where I have my condar pipe thermometer, most of the time when it get to the too hot zone, that's the same time my condar stove top thermometer gets to the too hot zone. That's the case MOST of the time and works because of where I chose to place them on each.

pen

Where I have my condar pipe thermometer, most of the time when it get to the too hot zone, that's the same time my condar stove top thermometer gets to the too hot zone. That's the case MOST of the time and works because of where I chose to place them on each.

I found the hottest spot on the pipe and put the thermometer there

I have a Condar magnetic model on the the single wall pipe 18 inches above the stove top. While playing with an IR thermometer, I noticed an interesting phenomenon. When the stove gets into the zone, top between 500 - 600F, burning really well with the damper mostly closed, the pipe temperature actually drops back a little. Here's proof that having the air at the right setting really does put more heat into the room, while sending less up the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.