Connecting Castle Serenity Exhaust to 8" existing wood stove Pipe in chimney.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeTB12

Oct 20, 2015
Lock Haven, PA
Im ordering a Castle Serenity Pellet Stove which has a 3 inch exhaust pipe. My problem is the pipe that is in the chimney already is fitted to an 8 inch pipe that flows back through the chimney. My question is, how do I safely exhaust/vent my pellet stove. And am I able to even do this?

Let me be the first to encourage you to install a proper pellet vent, per the install manual. Doing so will certainly cost more money and effort than re-using the old 8" vent, but you'll avoid any concerns or questions from either the building inspector or your insurance company.

It cost me $1300 to re-line our old chimney with approved pellet vent. I had it installed by a certified professional. I went beyond the bare minimum requirements, even. I was just below the requirement for 4" vent, but that's what I had installed, and also had it insulated even though not required by code.

We've lost electricity only once since the install, for just a few minutes. No smoke at all got into the house thanks to the natural draft provided by the nicely insulated vent. My stove doesn't even have an igniter, but when the power came back on there were enough embers glowing in the burn pot to re-ignite the stove. If my teenage son hadn't been home when it happened, I never would have known.

I always hate spending money, but I don't necessarily regret it. I would like to still have that $1300 in the bank, but I sleep a little better because I know my install is as right as it can be.

I'm going to do the same as you. Replacing a wood stove with a serenity. I have a 8 inch stove pipe, as well, that goes to the top of the chimney. The installer told me he would connect to this pipe after he cleans it. $600 to 700, he would get the permit. The stove cost only a couple of hundred more then the install. Have no idea how to do it myself. So, for peace of mind, I'm going with the pro install. Still way ahead buying that Harman I wanted plus install $6000. total. So it's $1600 vs $6000. Think I'll take moma to Florida with the money I'll save. Like the solar heat down there, on my back.

Last edited:
You're ahead of the game compared to where I was, especially having an existing liner that's in good shape. I hadn't used the old wood stove since shortly after we moved here, and decided to get it cleaned & inspected before starting it up. Well the previous owner had a 7" stove connected to a 6" thimble into an 8" chimney (clay liner). The stove was a 1970's smoke dragon. The whole thing was just a hazardous mess, and I'm glad we used it only a few times, then gave up on it

Status
Not open for further replies.