consolidated dutchwest combustor install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Keep the white shroud or remove it?

• Remove it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CuHead

Apr 7, 2017
DSCF1774.JPG DSCF1776.JPG
One month ago, I purchased a "new" ~30 year old consolidated dutchwest FA264 model 2183 (info from plate on back of stove). I got it from a woman in New Hampshire whose husband had bought it new and installed it in 1990, but then he got sick and she never used it. She had said it included the combustor, but I could not see it. Besides never having been fired up, it came with the fan screwed onto the side, the metal fireplace opening surround cover plates, coal plates for inside the stove, and even a stainless chimney cap to keep the big bats out. I want to install it, but I opened up the top (four bolts and the whole top lifts off) and I find a white exhaust shroud possibly made from asbestos. Inside the shroud there is no combustor. Too bad (advertised 'with combustor', but I'm not complaining. I had bought a steel combustor on ebay that I was going to use with a different stove that I hope to clean and seal up, but now I'm putting the combustor into this new old stove. I assume the combustor gets installed inside the white shroud. It fits fine.

The woman who sold me this stove also gave me a General Instructions and in it is described maintenance of the combustor, but no description of the white shroud. I assume the shroud is asbestos, but does anyone know? The General Instructions has pictures of the combustor clean/install process, but never mentions or shows this white shroud. Any comments pertaining to the white shroud would be appreciated. Does it hurt stove efficiency? Does it prevent warping of the top or longevity of the beauty of the stove top? Respond here or to my email (change at and dot).
sheinrich01 at verizon dot net

Last edited by a moderator:
The white shroud is the refractory package. It is important and does not contain asbestos. The combustor should used should be one made to fit this particular stove. The newer version of this stove has a special Interam gasket for the cat. This makes sure it seals correctly. Not sure if this is in the older version too, but I would expect it to. Here is a parts diagram from the newer model 2462. The gasket is part 54. The manual lists it as VC part# 0000837

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 9.33.35 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
"The first asbestos ban in the United States occurred in 1977 but was limited to very specific uses of the substance. In 1989, the federal government banned virtually all use and manufacture of asbestos in the country, including its use in building materials"
I don't think woodstoves would have been exempt after 1977 since oil burners / furnaces were not exempt either.
I'd try to make a gasket for that combustor using rope gasket.

Same stove. Just ordered a new combustor, refractory package and gasket. I've seen a video where the guy just lifted the top to get access to the combustor. The top of my stove has a raised area but I don't think I can just lift it up. I've been using the stove since 2001 and have never taken the top off. Is anyone familiar enough with this model? Also, how often should the rope be changed on the top? I've never done it.

Thanks