constant temp or fluctuate when i'm not around

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ramdez

Dec 29, 2009
eastern PA
Hey all i'll go a few days with not sleeping at my place and i have been turning the stove down to about 60 when i'm not around then up to 75 when i'm there to get it to temp and i was wondering: if it's a bad move because the place in some rooms will drop to about 50 when I'm not around and then takes soo long to warm up with a draft about 4' high rushing down the steps to the lower level until the place equalizes. I was wondering if i use less pellets leaving it at 70 or keep turning it down for long periods of time but then roaring it to get up to temp. I guess a winter of doing this i should learn but i don't quite live there yet 100% so i was asking for input prior :) thanks all.

ramdez said:
i have electric base boards but don't run them.

I suggest you leave the electrics on LOW. Just enough to keep the place around 40-50 degrees. Using pellets when you're gone for a period of time is a waste IMO.

How many days are you out, till you come back?

well till i sleep there it's a week but i'm there remodeling somewhat often. I didn't think that there would even be a comparison between the electric baseboards and roaring the pellet stove. I thought electric was less favorable to use regardless.

thx for your replies btw!

ramdez said:
well till i sleep there it's a week but i'm there remodeling somewhat often. I didn't think that there would even be a comparison between the electric baseboards and roaring the pellet stove. I thought electric was less favorable to use regardless.

thx for your replies btw!

If you're there EVERY day, then put the stove on LOW and top the hopper.

I wouldn't leave the stove unattended for a long period of time though. Let's say an unforeseen occurrence happens and you're not able to go there, then what? What if you run out of pellets? That's why, leaving the baseboards on LOW, while you're gone makes sense. I know you don't want to use the electric, but that's what you have. You have NO choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.