control board fried... rebuildable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DDJR

Mar 20, 2015
western ma
Our house got hit with a power surge and the control board of my eco choice heatilator cab 50 was one of the many things to get zinged. Is it feasible to replace wires, capacitors, and whatever else is in there with new? Or is there more to it than that? I could see how the board could be compromised by the hit. Or maybe everything inside melts. Anyone ever attempt such a thing? I'd live to have the stove working again without finding $240 For a new one.

I'm sure it's possible if you know what you are doing. If the PCB itself was also damaged your probably stuck. In the future, be sure to pick up a decent quality surge supressor.

If you search board cab 50 repair using the box top right, you should find a couple of services that can rebuild them. Personally, I would spring for the new board and send out the old board so you always have a back-up.

Reactions: kappel15 and DMKNLD
You were hit by a classic lighting strike that dump plenty of charge on the board. So the board experience both a rapid charge and discharge. The board should be replaced as there may be latent damage due to the strike. Latent damage may cause a fire the next time you use it if there is a short. It's also possible to get intermittent failures that is hard to diagnose if the board is compromised. As TimfromMa pointed out, get a surge protector next time, it's dumb not to have one connected to an expensive unit. Consider $240 a lesson well learned. This lesson could have cost you a more that $$$.

Ok, thanks for the input. I'll get a good surge protector and save up for a new board. Anyone here have one for sale?

Are you sure it isn't a fuse?

If you're a homeowner contact your insurance company after making a list of all of the appliances possibly affected. Your policy should cover quite a bit of it.

Usually considered an "act of god"

Usually considered an "act of god"

I assisted a friend 5 or 6 years ago with getting most of his appliances replaced. The cause was due to a transformer on an outside pole blowing out...affected his house and a few others on his street. I was the hero that week, nobody had thought about using insurance. All made use of their policies.

I became aware of this type of scenario almost 40 years ago. Was working in a pub / tavern type of establishment, right around midnight the lights get crazy bright, the refrigerators in the restaurant kitchen and behind the bar sounded like jet engines. The transformer just beyond the parking area was on fire, shooting sparked everywhere. Insurance paid for all electrical motors getting replaced, in some instances even the appliance itself. The electric panel was replaced, all the breakers. Every light bulb was replaced.

Not all surges are caused by a lightning strike. Power companies have their bad days too.

Best idea these days is to put a whole house surge protector before the electrical main box in the house.

I'm looking into a whole house surge protector. A tree fell on the wires and snapped our ground wire, leaving the two hot wires with no ground. I'm sure it isn't the fuse, I put a new one in and plugged in the stove. Crackled and fried. Sadly.

I'm looking into a whole house surge protector. A tree fell on the wires and snapped our ground wire, leaving the two hot wires with no ground. I'm sure it isn't the fuse, I put a new one in and plugged in the stove. Crackled and fried. Sadly.

That tree is owned by somebody. Your insurance company, if it agrees to a settlement, will look to their insurance company for monies.

It's worth a shot.

I wonder why there isn't a fuse that would blow in the case of a spike in power to protect the unit

There every likely could be, but a surge / power hit strong enough can jump past the protective fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.