Control Board Reset Troubles on 2014 ESW 25-PDVC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RingoesMan

Oct 6, 2014
Howdy All,

So I attempted to perform a control board reset on my 2014 25-PDVC and was only halfway successful. I followed the instructions here: https://www.hearth.com/talk/posts/1283274

I was able to get to the point where the readout displays "F5", but after that I can not get it to tell me what letter setting I'm on. I'm following the instructions to the letter. Is something different about 2014 models that will not allow me to check/change this? I'd love to crank it to a "C" for the next week or two for the cold snap we have coming here in NJ.

Plug power lead back in and press both the up and down blower speed buttons at the same time within 4 - 5 seconds, then release them, you should now see a letter (A, b, c or d) in the left digital display under heat range, you need to change this to 'c' or 'd' using the up / down buttons below that readout, once set to 'c' or 'd' wait 10 - 15 seconds then unplug the power again and wait 5 seconds. Repeat the above step to make sure the stove is in 'c' or 'd', if it is, remove power lead and wait 5 seconds and plug back in.

Set the lower three (3) buttons to read 6 4 1 from left to right.

Plug power lead back in and press both the up and down blower speed buttons at the same time within 4 - 5 seconds, then release them, you should now see a letter (A, b, c or d) in the left digital display under heat range, you need to change this to 'c' or 'd' using the up / down buttons below that readout, once set to 'c' or 'd' wait 10 - 15 seconds then unplug the power again and wait 5 seconds. Repeat the above step to make sure the stove is in 'c' or 'd', if it is, remove power lead and wait 5 seconds and plug back in.

Set the lower three (3) buttons to read 6 4 1 from left to right.
I definitely did that like half a dozen times. I guess my question is, once I press the two blower buttons is it a press and hold or a quick release?

Also, can anyone play devil's advocate and argue against putting it in C mode? What are the downfalls?

The only real down fall is you will burn more pellets... I have mine in c and it runs fine.. It has a temp sensor so if it gets to hit it will shut down.. my stove has never shut down. I've run it on 9 for a couple days at a time and never had a issue. But in c mode and on 9 I burn 2 bags a day

You have to release the buttons as soon as you have pressed them.

C mode..

Pro's = More heat

Cons = Uses more pellets and will need to be cleaned more often.

You have to release the buttons as soon as you have pressed them.

C mode..

Pro's = More heat

Cons = Uses more pellets and will need to be cleaned more often.

Whoo! That did it, got her switched over to C mode and we're burning cheap-ass big-box pellets like there's no tomorrow. I see your stock reply to these types of inquiries all over these boards and I think you should update it to include the information you gave here, that "you have to release the buttons as soon as you press them." Also, it might be prudent to mention that a hard reset defaults some stoves to "A" mode and a control board reset should never be performed without double-checking to see which mode your stove defaults to. I wound up burning on "A" for four days as a result of my failed attempt at a reset last Thursday.

Again, thanks for your help brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.