Controlling Stove Damper and Heat Output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffesonm

Minister of Fire
May 29, 2012
central NJ
Recently got my Osburn Matrix insert installed and hooked up. This is my first stove so I am trying to learn how best to operate it. I've got some well seasoned wood from a few years back so that is good.

Through lots of reading here and then some trial and error, I've got the hang of starting up a new load and getting it burning well enough to turn it down without smoldering. I've been able to run it for 6-8 hour burns and end up with enough coals to get a new one going. I've got an IR thermometer and the firebox top temps seem to average in the in the 400-500 range, as measured through vent on the top of the stove.

It's getting a bit colder now in NJ and I'd like to really crank up the heat output from this thing, especially when I'm around all day to babysit it. Is that idea that instead of turning down the damper all the way, I just leave it at 50-75% open and feed it more often?

More air is going to mean more heat going up the flue. Watch that flue collar, it may start glowing. You'll get better performance out of the stove by maximizing combustion efficiency. If your wood supply is good and dry then take the air down to the point where the flames off the logs are getting lazy. In about 5 minutes you should see good secondary combustion and an increase in stove temp. Reduce the air again until the flames get lazy and you'll see the secondaries kicking in strongly. That should help the stove put out the best heat.

PS: A damper is on the exhaust. I think you mean controlling the air intake control.

Yes thanks I meant air intake control.

So what determines heat output? Total amount of wood in a load?

Status
Not open for further replies.