Convection during power-outage: gravity kits vs integrated louvers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PDutro

Sep 26, 2021
Oregon
Looking at a RSF Focus 3600. Looks like it would need the gravity kits in order to convect the hot air into the room (without them it’s a radiant heater, which is nice, too)

I understand that a HE ZC with integrated louvers for convection in the fact plate would naturally convect pretty well and so in the event of a power outage nor Ha ring the internal blower function would still provide heat to the house.

How about with a unit that doesn’t have the convection integrated into the face plate but relies on a gravity kit? Will natural convection still happen pretty thoroughly with that kind of design?

What is a gravity kit?
A natural convection setup with low intake vents and outlet vents above the fireplace for the heat that convects around the fireplace body and out the upper outlets. The outlets can also have a powered fan option to deliver greater volume of hot air.

Reactions: PDutro
Looking at a RSF Focus 3600. Looks like it would need the gravity kits in order to convect the hot air into the room (without them it’s a radiant heater, which is nice, too)

I understand that a HE ZC with integrated louvers for convection in the fact plate would naturally convect pretty well and so in the event of a power outage nor Ha ring the internal blower function would still provide heat to the house.

How about with a unit that doesn’t have the convection integrated into the face plate but relies on a gravity kit? Will natural convection still happen pretty thoroughly with that kind of design?
I was able to contact RSF and learned that the Focus 3600 does in fact have internal convection, so the gravity kit is not necessary.