convert an old gas furnace heat exchanger in to wood heat exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dominic

Mar 14, 2017
Mich
So i was wondering if i used a old furnace to create a wood stove. starting with the heat exchange.

so my gas heat exchange looks some thing like the picture. 2521302S-250x300.jpg
if i had make a wood stove and the flames are hitting the back fins and i pump air in the hole on the front would i have any problems with toxic fumes or anything

You would have problems with quickly burning through the heat exchanger. And then yes, you would have big fume issues. Those things are simply not designed for the heat range that is internal to a wood stove.

I am gonna slide this over the the DIY room as I am not real sure where this best fits, but pretty sure the green room ain't it.;)