converting rumford wood burning to gas insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

debbielg

Mar 31, 2021
Markham, On canada
Hi, I'm having a real problem with my old rumford fire place. It never worked well, smoked unless we opened a window. Now I'd like to put something propane in. It seems that a propane log set won't be safe bec. of the draw problem. But I can't fit any gas fireplace insert into the narrow back of the original fireplace. Can I just knock out a few firebrick from each back corner to widen it? Any other ideas? My first choice was gas logs. thanks
PS: I had a mason over to check it last week and the only thing he can see is that the damper is 40" x 5" and he thought it should have been 9" wide.

The easiest way to gas insert in a Rumford is to it into the room as far as needed.
Returns added to the sides surround panel will take up & cover the the gap.

Last edited: