Cook Stove with Catalytic Converter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NewlyHomesteading

Apr 1, 2019
Colorado (7400ft)
My sweetie and I recently moved into a 20' x 20' structure in the Colorado Rockies. We are looking for a wood stove that will heat the space, provide a year-round cooking surface (preferably with removable discs for faster cooking), and maybe even an oven to bake bread! Ideally, it would contain a catalytic converter (both for saving wood and less emissions). Do stoves like this exist? If so, where do I find one? If not, what kind of stove would you recommend?

Not sure about finding one with a catalytic convertor, but if the cook stove is going to be primarily used for cooking I strongly recommend picking out one that cooks well with even heat and is easy to maintain and clean. That is a higher priority than the cleanest burning stove. There are some newer ones with secondary burn, but some do not do that great a job of cooking. Esse Ironheart may be worth looking into.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/heating-with-a-wood-cook-stove.167883/

My sweetie and I recently moved into a 20' x 20' structure in the Colorado Rockies. We are looking for a wood stove that will heat the space, provide a year-round cooking surface (preferably with removable discs for faster cooking), and maybe even an oven to bake bread! Ideally, it would contain a catalytic converter (both for saving wood and less emissions). Do stoves like this exist? If so, where do I find one? If not, what kind of stove would you recommend?
Esse makes at least one they are fantastic stoves but they are very expensive.

I had looked at the JA Roby cookers, but no option for DHW. Good to know it wasn't a big loss.
Can’t complain about the JA Roby heating and burn ability. How ever they are made very cheap... thin metal and the oven was not engendered effectively. No heat/smoke circulated the oven box well enough to cook with. It would probably be impossible to have a water jacket and have even warm water.
At any rate if you are a sincere cook don’t touch the JA Roby. Multiple problems with them and have spoken to others unsatisfied.

Can’t complain about the JA Roby heating and burn ability. How ever they are made very cheap... thin metal and the oven was not engendered effectively. No heat/smoke circulated the oven box well enough to cook with. It would probably be impossible to have a water jacket and have even warm water.
At any rate if you are a sincere cook don’t touch the JA Roby. Multiple problems with them and have spoken to others unsatisfied.

Currently the Kitchen Queen in green and cream is at the top of the list for a wood cooker that can heat DHW.

The Kitchen Queen is the best wood cook stove you can get... if you can afford it. But you are paying for quality and you will probably have it for a life time.
Yeah, it's not cheap, but neither are the JA Roby stoves! I'd rather suffer once and pay for a quality appliance that will last a lifetime. The KQ stoves are well built and cleverly designed. I had thought about an antique, but they are so smokey and dirty.

The kitchen queens are far from the best cook stoves out there. But they are the most reasonably priced good cookstoves. That and most of the really good cookstoves like esse and aga are just cook stoves and not really heaters at all.

The kitchen queens are far from the best cook stoves out there. But they are the most reasonably priced good cookstoves. That and most of the really good cookstoves like esse and aga are just cook stoves and not really heaters at all.
I also like the Ironheart, but folks say they don't work well for heating domestic hot water. We also don't want a black cook stove, which is very limiting.

I also like the Ironheart, but folks say they don't work well for heating domestic hot water. We also don't want a black cook stove, which is very limiting.
I am not talking about the iron heart. I am referring to the 990. Honestly I don't think any wood stove is a good option for domestic hot water.

I am not talking about the iron heart. I am referring to the 990. Honestly I don't think any wood stove is a good option for domestic hot water.
It seems that many people use Kitchen Queen cook stoves for DHW. The 990 really is an awesome cook stove, just crazy expensive.

It seems that many people use Kitchen Queen cook stoves for DHW. The 990 really is an awesome cook stove, just crazy expensive.
Yes they do that doesn't mean it is a good option.

What makes it a poor option?
Doing a pressurized system is dangerous and an unpressurized system to me just is not an acceptable option. In addition in general heating water with wood tends to lower the firebox temp to much which makes burning efficiency very difficult

Doing a pressurized system is dangerous and an unpressurized system to me just is not an acceptable option. In addition in general heating water with wood tends to lower the firebox temp to much which makes burning efficiency very difficult
What makes unpressurized unacceptable? We already have a pressurized system in the house.

What makes unpressurized unacceptable? We already have a pressurized system in the house.
As a secondary system nothing is wrong with it. But you still have the problem of dropping firebox temps.

As a secondary system nothing is wrong with it. But you still have the problem of dropping firebox temps.
We are talking about a coil, not a boiler jacket. The kitchen queen and esse stoves I've researched can still get to 500+f oven and 700f griddle temps with hot water options. The appliances are designed with heating water to begin with, it's not like adding a coil to a stove that was never designed to have one. My goal is to have a 40-80 gallon hot water storage tank heated by the cook stove that then feeds an on demand water heater. I'm still in the planning phase. I was thinking about solar hot water, but the economics seem poor. My house has an old SWH on the roof that has been bypassed, but it might just stay that way rather than replace it.

We are talking about a coil, not a boiler jacket. The kitchen queen and esse stoves I've researched can still get to 500+f oven and 700f griddle temps with hot water options. The appliances are designed with heating water to begin with, it's not like adding a coil to a stove that was never designed to have one. My goal is to have a 40-80 gallon hot water storage tank heated by the cook stove that then feeds an on demand water heater. I'm still in the planning phase. I was thinking about solar hot water, but the economics seem poor. My house has an old SWH on the roof that has been bypassed, but it might just stay that way rather than replace it.
Yes I am aware of how they work. I work on 7 kitchen queens and 2 990s. The chimneys on the kitchen queens with hot water coils are always a mess. The ones without them are fairly clean for a cookstove. The 990s are fine gray powder. I haven't seen an iron heart in the field yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I am aware of how they work. I work on 7 kitchen queens and 2 990s. The chimneys on the kitchen queens with hot water coils are always a mess. The ones without them are fairly clean for a cookstove. The 990s are fine gray powder. I haven't seen an iron heart in the field yet.
Like a mess as in gallons or a mess as in a few cups twice a year? What kind of chimney systems are they using? What is the firewood like? I'm OK with a reasonable amount of maintenence since I will in turn get free hot water.

Like a mess as in gallons or a mess as in a few cups twice a year? What kind of chimney systems are they using? What is the firewood like? I'm OK with a reasonable amount of maintenence since I will in turn get free hot water.
Gallons a couple times a year. There wood is not perfect but not to bad either. Most of them are running through prefab chimneys. All but one of the kitchen queen customers are Amish. We did the chimney and stove installs on most of them.

Gallons a couple times a year. There wood is not perfect but not to bad either. Most of them are running through prefab chimneys. All but one of the kitchen queen customers are Amish. We did the chimney and stove installs on most of them.
That's a bit much, but I'd be willing to try. Perhaps different burning practices could change things. Since the coil on the KQ is rated at 40 gal of hot water per hour we should be able to just burn it when we need to cook rather than 24/7 and still not use any electricity or fossil fuels for hot water. Running it hot when needed rather than a low burn all the time should alleviate most of the creosote issues.