Cooking thread, anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DuaeGuttae

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2016
Virginia
I’ve seen some cooking pictures recently that I’ve enjoyed, and so I thought I’d start a thread where folks who are so inclined can share pictures, recipes, or stories. I’ll start with a photo of my sourdough einkorn bagels.

F96CF100-259D-41E0-A1AA-FC3BF8CF0E70.jpeg

What was really fun about this batch of bagels was that our family of six (ages three to fifty-five) all sat together at our large table, and the four kids helped me shape all 28 bagels that we made. It was a nice time, and many hands made lighter work.

I’ve seen some cooking pictures recently that I’ve enjoyed, and so I thought I’d start a thread where folks who are so inclined can share pictures, recipes, or stories. I’ll start with a photo of my sourdough einkorn bagels.

View attachment 254380

What was really fun about this batch of bagels was that our family of six (ages three to fifty-five) all sat together at our large table, and the four kids helped me shape all 28 bagels that we made. It was a nice time, and many hands made lighter work.
I think the next meal I'll cook is chicken parm for New Years.

This will be OUR NYE Dinner...
It's a good one...

That sounds delicious!
I cooked our Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey breast on the wood stove in a dutch oven. It came out great! The T6 trivet top lends itself nicely to slow cooking but a trivet on a regular stove with about a 400-500º stovetop should also work. You could also use a crock pot. Here is the recipe:

I'm calling this attempt a success, even though it stuck to the pan a bit.

Attachments

• 20191229_164323.jpg
    20191229_164323.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 443
Keep at it. Maybe get a pizza stone and try a hotter oven too.

Dang, now I'm hungry. Cooked a pork loin in the Nesco couple days ago -nothing fancy just the pork and water and a packet of brown gravy mix. turned out ok - not all dried out.

That sounds delicious!
I cooked our Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey breast on the wood stove in a dutch oven. It came out great! The T6 trivet top lends itself nicely to slow cooking but a trivet on a regular stove with about a 400-500º stovetop should also work. You could also use a crock pot. Here is the recipe:

The Gruyere really adds a distinctive taste. The down side is the cost...somewhere around $60, depending on the Market Price of lobster...Sometimes, I substitute Langostinos...

Keep at it. Maybe get a pizza stone and try a hotter oven too.
I had one, but it won't fit in this oven. You are right, the oven wasn't as hot as I'd have liked. I forgot to put the mushrooms on so I had to take it back out. Two extra door openings can really take a toll.

Nice job on pizza and bagels. I got the wife a new bread machine gonna try some bagels, making pizza dough right now. Smoked up some home made bacon so every thing has bacon on it.

Attachments

• 3934A65F-C7C0-4D7C-9048-4F816056D4C5.jpeg
    3934A65F-C7C0-4D7C-9048-4F816056D4C5.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 443
The Gruyere really adds a distinctive taste. The down side is the cost...somewhere around $60, depending on the Market Price of lobster...Sometimes, I substitute Langostinos...
Yeah, lobster on the west coast is a real luxury. Good gruyere is not cheap either, but I love it.

I had one, but it won't fit in this oven. You are right, the oven wasn't as hot as I'd have liked. I forgot to put the mushrooms on so I had to take it back out. Two extra door openings can really take a toll.
Well, you get an A for effort. It looks better than the pizza I tried to make in our woodstove. We make ours in the electric oven now.

Well, you get an A for effort. It looks better than the pizza I tried to make in our woodstove. We make ours in the electric oven now.
I've been considering getting a Camp Chef Artisan or an Ooni Koda portable pizza oven. They get hotter, quicker.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I've been considering getting a Camp Chef Artisan or an Ooni Koda portable pizza oven. They get hotter, quicker.
I plan on building an outdoor pizza/wood oven in the future for summer cooking. I made some cookies earlier with Almond and coconut flour that turned out amazing. I've been trying to get away from using white flour in anything, but my wife says she "hates" whole grain. This is my way of making the the transition smoother. Today I learned that the cooker works best with a short hot fire. It doesn't run like a normal wood stove at all

The earlier mentioned coconut and Almond flour chocolate chip cookies. I usually don't bake so much in one day, but I really wanted some cookies. As you can see they didn't last very long.

The chocolate chips are Bixby which are made in Maine. I try to use as much Maine made/grown ingredients as possible. I've gotten a source for Maine grown whole grain flour that I used for the pizza. Last week I made a banana bread loaf that I froze for later. I have even found Maine made butter, cheeses, and of course coffee (roasted here anyway). Unfortunately growing season is over, so I have to buy imported produce, but at least it's organic. I've only been using fresh organic produce for the last year or so and I can't believe how much better everything is. I will never go back to shopping at a regular grocery store and hope to grow my own food in a few years. With 25 acres I hope to hunt my own protein as well.

I never saw myself as a homesteading/hippy/whatever type, but my stomach has convinced me. I met my wife at a social dinner gathering with especially good prime rib ;lol ;lol

Attachments

• 20191229_232820.jpg
    20191229_232820.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 395
Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Chicken Parmigiana is on the menu for New Years Day with pasta so I'll make the sauce tomorrow and the rest on 1/1/2020.

sauce or in my family we call it gravy tastes much better the next day. sounds great

Reactions: thewoodlands
Today I learned that the cooker works best with a short hot fire. It doesn't run like a normal wood stove at all
Wonder if that is because it's steel. The antique cook stove that I used eons ago, ran from morning to night. I got my best baking after it had been fired up for at least a few hours. It was a mass of cast iron that didn't react rapidly, except for the cook plates. Of course that meant momentum so you didn't want to push it with a high fire or you would overshoot the desired oven temp.

sauce or in my family we call it gravy tastes much better the next day. sounds great
I think it taste better the second day too. The chicken breast will be stuffed (piped in) with ricotta and some other ingredients, I've made chicken parm before but not like this.

Yeah, lobster on the west coast is a real luxury. Good gruyere is not cheap either, but I love it.
We brought back about 50lbs from Maine. Was about $5 Lb at a fish market outside portland. Most of it still in the freezer along with Maryland Blue crabs.

Reactions: DAKSY
I'm calling this attempt a success, even though it stuck to the pan a bit.
I make a pretty good home made Stromboli. Hot Capicola ham,pepperoni and pepperjack cheese . Goes good with beer:cool:.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I make a pretty good home made Stromboli. Hot Capicola ham,pepperoni and pepperjack cheese . Goes good with beer:cool:.
Sounds pretty good. I think this dough would have worked better as Stromboli. The garlic bread I made with the other dough half was fantastic.

Wonder if that is because it's steel. The antique cook stove that I used eons ago, ran from morning to night. I got my best baking after it had been fired up for at least a few hours. It was a mass of cast iron that didn't react rapidly, except for the cook plates. Of course that meant momentum so you didn't want to push it with a high fire or you would overshoot the desired oven temp.

When I run it like a cast iron stove the oven never gets above 350, no matter how much wood, what size splits, or how long the fire. When loaded with five or six small splits, maybe even kindling, and the under fire air at half way, airwash at full (secondary intake is non adjustable) the oven hits 400. The manual clearly states that the under fire air is the primary air, but I've just been nervous to really let it rip, especially with 6" splits. More specifically the manual says 1/2 way open on the "primary" air for baking/heating. With a small load in the Morso and maybe seven 2-3" splits total added to the firebox since lighting cookstove the house is still climbing over 77df at 32df and wet outside. I guess I should trust the manual! Cooking on the glass top can be done with any kind of fire. The glass top heats very fast so even just a kindling fire would be plenty for a meal.

Edit: I could have just said the stove is very responsive. Hopefully you enjoy detail and rambling

All this talk of doughs and sauces and cheese must have inspired my cooking tonight.

619B3B67-0347-4929-BC59-EC5E195D81A1.jpeg

Einkorn dough, tomato sauce I had in the freezer, Skellig and mozzarella cheeses, with sautéed mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers. I make two pizzas for our family to eat along with salad; there were four pieces left over.

I did use a bread maker for this dough, and I do find it a lovely convenience. I also have an old bread bucket that I use when I want to make large batches of something like bagels or multiple loaves of bread for the freezer. We purchased a used bread maker this summer so that I could cook bread without heating up the kitchen with the oven. Once the sun went behind clouds this afternoon the extra heat from cooking pizza was welcome.