Cooling a Hot Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mitch23

Feb 3, 2023
MA
Hi all, first time posting here…I hope I’m doing this properly. I’m looking for insight on cooling an overly hot stove. I’ve read on other older threads on the site that people have collectively agreed that opening the front door wide open will help cool an overtired stove. I have a dutchwest 2479. It has a damper leaver and an air control leaver. It seems that if I accidentally load too many smaller pieces of wood on some well established coals that it can get up towards 600 on the stovepipe thermometers i have. This is with the damper closed and the air leaver closed down as low as I can go. In this scenario you can hear the ever burn feature “roaring” which I’m assuming is the secondary combustion occurring. I’m wondering if I am to open the front door with the damper closed and with the air turned all the way down to help cool it fast in the event of an overfire? I understand the best way to alleviate overfire is to avoid having one in the first place but I’m just looking for all possible fixes.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

What kind of thermometer are you using? Surface or probe type? 600F is fine on a probe type, surface is too hot though.

What concerns me is the "roaring" sound, to me it might indicate a leak in the stove or door gasket. Which would also be the cause of your overfire.

Using a glue mounted magnetic thermometer. I’ve got it about 10 inches above the top of the stove on the flue pipe. I also have an IR thermometer that I occasionally use to confirm the accuracy of the magnetic thermometer. I have replaced the door gasket recently. It seems like I overfired it too small of logs on too big of a coal pile. These dutchwest “everburn” systems produce this roaring sound during secondary combustion. I’ve read that it is normal, definitely a bit unnerving when I hear it though. Anyway, I’m a bit more curious of the process to cool down a hot stove in the event of a over fire? Should I open up the main front door wide, with the damper shut and the air valve closed? Should I throw cole ashes on the hot coals? Just curious what everyone’s perspective/experience is.

Using a flue mounted magnetic thermometer. I’ve got it about 10 inches above the top of the stove on the flue pipe. I also have an IR thermometer that I occasionally use to confirm the accuracy of the magnetic thermometer. I have replaced the door gasket recently. It seems like I overfired it too small of logs on too big of a coal pile. These dutchwest “everburn” systems produce this roaring sound during secondary combustion. I’ve read that it is normal, definitely a bit unnerving when I hear it though. Anyway, I’m a bit more curious of the process to cool down a hot stove in the event of a over fire? Should I open up the main front door wide, with the damper shut and the air valve closed? Should I throw cole ashes on the hot coals? Just curious what everyone’s perspective/experience is.

I do not have the same kind of stove, but I have two additional things for my VC Encore to deal with overfires. I installed a key damper in the stove pipe and I have a round end cap to plug the air intake on the back bottom of the stove. The latter is my bail out option so that the stove doesn't go nuclear. I've only had to use it twice when I was not paying as much attention to the significance of the draft and loaded with too many small splits. The key damper my be an extra control you could consider.