Cord and a half today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gibson

Hearth Supporter
Apr 29, 2008
Lincoln, RI
Processed a cord and a half of some nice red oak and maple today with my father-in-law. All hand split. This was my first time really processing wood myself. Wielded a 10# maul for much of the day, I think I am gonna be hurtin' for certain tomorrow! Does it always work out that you expend 90% of your energy splitting 10% of the wood? Most of it split on one swing. The rest was like ramming my head into a cement wall. That freshly split oak sure does smell good! Self medicating with beer and advil...

The oak you have there must be different,ours smells not too good.I 'm with ya on the advil and beer-I helped the inlaws move today and can tell it.That oak will smell really good before too long.I split some this evening,don't know what it is but my dog's s... smells better.I'm giving it to the inlaws to burn. :coolsmile:

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
Processed a cord and a half of some nice red oak and maple today with my father-in-law. All hand split. This was my first time really processing wood myself. Wielded a 10# maul for much of the day, I think I am gonna be hurtin' for certain tomorrow! Does it always work out that you expend 90% of your energy splitting 10% of the wood? Most of it split on one swing. The rest was like ramming my head into a cement wall. That freshly split oak sure does smell good! Self medicating with beer and advil...

It gets better when you get older. You take the advil before you even start, so you "can start".
I'm like you, I like the smell of the wood. Just about any kind just smells good.
Good days work.

save yourself! go and get a 4# or 6# splitting axe/maul! use the 10# for when you cant split with the others, doesnt seem like much but believe those others are soooo much lighter swinging so less strain on the back! Good luck! oh and by the way for me aleve or naproxen is 10xs better than advil and it lasts for 12hrs just a little fyi

Ya, the 10 pounder is perhaps overkill.

On the smell of oak, several people have posted they don't like the smell. I always recall my sawing days and I always loved to make lumber out of any oaks; red or white. Like Dave, I like the smell of most wood. Only a couple that I don't like, cottonwood being one of the worst of the nasty ones. I just don't like cottonwood.

Freshly cut red oak smells like poo

Every body around here used to call elm pi** elm, not sure if that was because of the smell but if I remember right it did not smell as good as some of the others.

Do yourself a favor and rent a splitter. Last year I hand split 6 cord with a 8# maul and had to see my Doctor at the end to make sure I wasn't herniated. I cut and hauled a cord yesterday and man am I sore today. Definitely medicating with beers, couple of Advil and a lawn chair facing the warmth of the sun today--smiling fondly at my wood pile. Good work deserves reward.

Unless I were to score a huge windfall of timber I just can't justify the cost of renting a splitter. So, I use an 8 lb maul. It's a pretty good work out especially when splitting 16 inch long, 20 inch thick oak.
This stuff that I did this week was really too big and heavy (about 100 lbs per round) to keep lifting up on my splitting stump so I just split it on the ground.
One of the things that wears me out when stump splitting is the constant need to stop, put down the maul, pick the wood up off the ground and put it back on the stump, repeat, repeat, repeat. Then start over with the next round. I just recently read the suggestion to wrap a bungie cord around the round, or sit it in an old tire. I'll have to try that. That should help eliminate a lot of bending and lifting and speed things up considerately.
I've read about, and have a friend who does this, people who use a 16 pound wedge maul to split their rounds. I just don't think I could last too long lifting a bowling ball on a stick over my head over and over.

Fiskar's.

Eagle Rare.

Do not confuse the order of use.

Dakotas Dad said:
Fiskar's.

Eagle Rare.

Do not confuse the order of use.
I thought it was:
Fiskars
MediCare

Splitting wood is great exercise, but a cord and a half in one day is a little too much to start with. ideally you'd have the pile at home, and split a little each day so you can get used to it. This method also involves more beer breaks, although the total beer volume might end up about the same.

10 to 20 % troublemakers sounds about right for oak.

I save em for a day I either need to swear a lot or need to try not to.
Some times I just give them away. :)

Kenster, you definitely have to try the tire trick. Best thing I've done for myself handsplitting.

Except now since I have the Fiskars I just sit at my bay window and watch it split itself! %-P

Smells like red wine, money, and heat to me....

Status
Not open for further replies.