cord prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I got around 300-350 per cord when I sold some this winter, but that was dry oak, elm, and locust. Could only sell a bit and needed the cash.

reading some old threads and freakin on cord prices. whats the prices people are paying now 2022-23 mines 115 cdn

That has to be face cord?? $115 Canadian is -cheap- for a full cord.

I'm currently selling mine for $405 a cord ($560 CDN). I sell it by the face cord (1/3 cord) though ($135 US) seeing that's what the majority of people seem to want. I don't sell for a living, I just sell to liquidate excess. I sold over 10 cord this winter. Thinking about raising it to $435 US next winter. I've been told by numerous return customers I am the only one with good wood around our area. I'd like to keep selling, but I have to find a price point that will allow me to do so without causing supply issues for me long term. I can't sustain selling 10 cord a year and burning 5. If I get people complaining about price, I will just tell them it's $250 for the wood + a $30 a year storage/seasoning fee. Where else can you find someone to store your wood for you for $30 a year over 6 years? If they don't like it, they can go buy green and/or cut/store it themselves. LOL

Last edited:
Locally Pine, Spruce or Poplar is going for $300-$350CAD/cord. Birch is $450-$500CAD/cord.

Mostly sold for backyard firepits/campfires or for wealthy people to have a fire in their fireplace on special occasions. Wood isn't cost effective at those prices for heating here.

That has to be face cord?? $115 Canadian is -cheap- for a full cord.

I'm currently selling mine for $405 a cord ($560 CDN). I sell it by the face cord though ($135 US) seeing that's what the majority of people seem to want. I don't sell for a living, I just sell to liquidate excess. I sold over 10 cord this winter. Thinking about raising it to $435 US next winter. I've been told by numerous return customers I am the only one with good wood around our area. I'd like to keep selling, but I have to find a price point that will allow me to do so without causing supply issues for me long term. I can't sustain selling 10 cord a year and burning 5. If I get people complaining about price, I will just tell them it's $250 for the wood + a $30 a year storage/seasoning fee. Where else can you find someone to store your wood for you for $30 a year over 6 years? If they don't like it, they can go buy green and/or cut/store it themselves. LOL
You bring up a great point with hobby selling... most people that are cord wood sellers move product, not able to give it the time it needs to dry out properly, they're doing it for money, hobby sellers are kind of opposite, they dont do it for the money and they want to give the best possible product, yet stress over the demand vs supply.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
thats about all u get here is face cords
Same here, for the most part. I originally didn't even list a price for a face cord, only a cord. I started getting questions about how much for a face cord and will you sell a face cord, etc.

But a face cord really isn't a measurement it is a stack 4' x8' x how ever long the wood is cut.

A face cord, to me, is nothing but 1/3 of a cord or 43cf stacked. My wood is cut 20-21" long, so everything I sell is based on volume of a stacked row. IE. If my stacked rows are ~5' 2" tall and cut to 20" on average, every 5 linear foot of my row is a face cord. Every 15 linear feet is a cord. That's how I sell it.

Same here, for the most part. I originally didn't even list a price for a face cord, only a cord. I started getting questions about how much for a face cord and will you sell a face cord, etc.

A face cord, to me, is nothing but 1/3 of a cord or 43cf stacked. My wood is cut 20-21" long, so everything I sell is based on volume of a stacked row. IE. If my stacked rows are ~5' 2" tall and cut to 20" on average, every 5 linear foot of my row is a face cord. Every 15 linear feet is a cord. That's how I sell it.
That may be what you go by. But that is not what the actual definition is. Which is why in many states it's only legal to sell firewood in full cords or a fraction there of.

That may be what you go by. But that is not what the actual definition is. Which is why in many states it's only legal to sell firewood in full cords or a fraction there of.

I hear ya! Like I mentioned though, I never planned on selling it by the face cord, but when person after person asks, "how much for a face cord?" I decided I had to change how I was selling it. LOL

Around here you won't hear anyone use the term cord it's usually sold by the pickup load and seasoned means it was cut a few months ago. I haven't bought wood in almost 30 years and back then I bought it by the logging truck load.
I don't see how anyone could sell truly seasoned air dried firewood cheap. As mentioned just the space to store wood to dry never mind all of the labor to stack it for drying.

Most of the stuff around here is fresh split. This year there were a lot of people trying to sell log length wood for firewood prices. Some wanted a lot more than firewood prices. I took the time to message them and explain that it was wet wood and the work was still to be done. Most of the replies were "you're stupid, leave me alone" or "shut up".

• Haha
Reactions: Woody Stover
Most of the replies were "you're stupid, leave me alone" or "shut up".

Just got this fan mail this morning to my FB MP ad for my firewood. ;lol

1678650305497.png

By me a cord of "seasoned" hardwood goes for $200. If you get it in the spring it may be ready to burn by winter and you generally get about 3/4 of a cord.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson