Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Governor in Michigan just closed all gyms, among other places to help mitigate the spread of the virus.

Reactions: mcdougy and Ashful
The more I think about it the questions you should be asking me how do we plan on not spreading it as paramedics going into peoples houses, in and out of hospitals, in the nursing homes, etc. Having that 2 to 14 day incubation and asymptomatic periods. I share beds with the other two crews that work or station. Especially now that the CDC has it knowledged the nationwide paramedic shortage and there’s no self Quarantine requirements anymore. As long as staffing allows my employer has one but, if we have two paramedics off that’s going to go out the window. These are just the VAX if you want us around when you have a heart attack, stroke, accident, etc. The other 15,000 runs a year we have in our service arnet gonna stop We just get the privilege of adding to it. So enjoy yourself Quarantine and social distancing. I’m actually worrying about the rest of the population.

deleted
Reeeally gotta ease up on the Red Bull there Medic, and apply some critical thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Governor in Michigan just closed all gyms, among other places to help mitigate the spread of the virus.
It may happen here. Most places around here that haS been a local decision. 90% of us at my gym right now are Emergency Responders from Fire, Police, and EMS And its the only one left open in town that I know of. Not open to anyone to walk in, have to have a key.

If they do I guess I’ll use the departments fitness center and get the tires and dummies back out. I spend 3-4 hours a day between two trips on my days off and 3:30am-5:30am on my work days so it’s easier. I did get the backpacking gear out and cleaned up yesterday, first trip is April but that is also an option for PT.

Reeeally gotta ease up on the Red Bull there Medic, and apply some critical thinking.
Never touch the crap. I’m beginning to know now how Police I’ve felt for years. Everyone on the Internet and Social Media knows how to do our job and what we should do better now.

It was better when we were just Ambulance Drivers to everyone.

Those dummies are heavier than most would imagine, nothing like dead weight to give you a good workout.

There are grown ass adults doing this too. There are several stories of adult Americans going out and doing things while knowing they are infected.
There will always be a certain number of A-holes in every crisis. Happened with HIV too.

Those dummies are heavier than most would imagine, nothing like dead weight to give you a good workout.
160 lbs. google “Denver Drill” and watch a video. That’ll make you realize real quick why you need to be in the shape of a collegiate athlete to do the job. Then think of some of the people you’ve seen standing around in turnout gear lol. We have them too.

I still farm. Come get an SCBA and turnout gear. I’ll take you through the confidence course and then if you think that’s easy we can do the CPAT.

firefighting and EMS is a combination of strength and endurance. Throwing all that gear on and dragging a hose line into 400-500 degree heat and working your ass off for 25 min is nothing like working on a farm.

It’s nothing about burning calories and everything about having the endurance to pull my brother out if he goes down.

Really not interested. I prefer to stay away from possibly infected people. Better you do that than me. I have enough to deal with keeping my life on the straight and narrow as it is.

50-55 pounders will build your endurance or give you a heart attack, real quick.

Do you remember before the Corona virus you would cough to cover up a fart in public?

Now you fart to cover up a cough. It helps maintain social distancing.

And you would be wrong, We have had horses here on the ranch for 25 plus years, and I run on machines to remove most of the shock of running on hard ground.

Horses are like a boat, a hole you toss money into with very little return. I'll take my steers any day. One, I can eat them and two, I have them for profit.

If they do I guess I’ll use the departments fitness center and get the tires and dummies back out
I hated doing the tire flips, and wrecked my legs for like a week dragging a tire tied to a rope backwards, talk about eye opening, thought I was in-shape before doing that.
As far as cardio, I never liked running or jogging, I use to jog 1.5 miles on the treadmill as a warm up when I was going to the gym all the time

You've obviously never have thrown a bale, it definitely gets the heart pumping, especially when throwing them 8-9 rows high. Plus running is hard on the joints, especially the knees.

Getting your heart pumping is only part of the equation, running for 2+hours is in no way an easy endeavor.

And it isn't hard on the knees that's been thoroughly debunked. Poor form is hard on the body but that applies to many things.

Back on topic: PA has ordered a shut down of non life sustaining businesses as of Friday and will start enforcement 8am Monday and is encouraging folks to call the Health Department if they see anyone not complying.

Getting your heart pumping is only part of the equation, running for 2+hours is in no way an easy endeavor.

And it isn't hard on the knees that's been thoroughly debunked. Poor form is hard on the body but that applies to many things.

Back on topic: PA has ordered a shut down of non life sustaining businesses as of Friday and will start enforcement 8am Monday and is encouraging folks to call the Health Department if they see anyone not complying.
Ah yes, being a snitch is the great American past time.... If people just did what they were supposed to, none of this would be happening but then we all know how that plays.

Actually the One Child Policy lead to the deaths of probably millions of developed fetuses and children. Thousands were abducted and sent to orphanages to be sold to wealthy folks worldwide. It was a big deal. You are grossly misinformed about this topic, as have I been until recently. Prime put out a good documentary about the issue.
No, I was responding only to the prior claim that the Chinese government was killing infants, I know very well that poor citizens were doing this, to avoid the costs of that second child. I’m hardly misinformed on this, several of my best friends are Chinese, having moved here from China in the last fifteen years as adults, and I lived with four Chinese immigrants in the early 2000’s as a graduate student. One of them is the second born in his family, and another has a wife who is the second born.

So, having heard the same rumors about the “one child” policies, naturally I’ve questioned them on this subject in the past. The answer I posted above came directly from them, within weeks of them arriving in the USA from growing up and living their entire lives in China. If you believe it is a misinformed answer, just know it came from several of the world’s most expensively-educated misinformed Chinese citizens.

Last edited:

Well you're wrong

Running puts a strain on the ligaments and connective tissue holding the knee together. Asphalt is the worst, gravel or sand is much more preferable.

Well you're wrong

Running puts a strain on the ligaments and connective tissue holding the knee together. Asphalt is the worst, gravel or sand is much more preferable.

Then a lot of doctors are wrong too. There's been multiple studies so showing no difference between runners and non runners in joint problems. There's also been a few showing improved joint health post run for people already showing joint degeneration.

Do you remember before the Corona virus you would cough to cover up a fart in public?

Now you fart to cover up a cough. It helps maintain social distancing.

Gal down the road posted on the local board..... 'If you can smell their fart, you are too close'... not enough 'social distancing'.....;lol

No, I was responding only to the prior claim that the Chinese government was killing infants, I know very well that poor citizens were doing this, to avoid the costs of that second child. I’m hardly misinformed on this, several of my best friends are Chinese, having moved here from China in the last fifteen years as adults, and I lived with four Chinese immigrants in the early 2000’s as a graduate student. One of them is the second born in his family, and another has a wife who is the second born.

So, having heard the same rumors about the “one child” policies, naturally I’ve questioned them on this subject in the past. The answer I posted above came directly from them, within weeks of them arriving in the USA from growing up and living their entire lives in China. If you believe it is a misinformed answer, just know it came from several of the world’s most expensively-educated misinformed Chinese citizens.
No, "family planners" aborted many 8-9 month fetuses, parents left babies in markets, and so on. You could have more than one child, but only rural families and two children five years apart. The one child policy was draconian and horrible. You can absolutely be well educated and misinformed. The education system in China is heavy influenced by the regime. Most Chinese people thought the one child policy was good for their country and thought they were doing their civic duty by leaving babies in markets. Most Afghans say the Taliban are great and when pressed about human rights issues, which are well known, the Afghans will say its not true. Just because the Chinese folks you know didn't speak against the one child policy doesn't mean they were well informed or even being honest with you. If the One Child policy was so great and working so well, then why was it repealed? Are all those forcibly sterilized women happy?

Then a lot of doctors are wrong too. There's been multiple studies so showing no difference between runners and non runners in joint problems. There's also been a few showing improved joint health post run for people already showing joint degeneration.
Guys, take the exercise program to a new thread.

No, "family planners" aborted many 8-9 month fetuses, parents left babies in markets, and so on. You could have more than one child, but only rural families and two children five years apart. The one child policy was draconian and horrible. You can absolutely be well educated and misinformed. The education system in China is heavy influenced by the regime. Most Chinese people thought the one child policy was good for their country and thought they were doing their civic duty by leaving babies in markets. Most Afghans say the Taliban are great and when pressed about human rights issues, which are well known, the Afghans will say its not true. Just because the Chinese folks you know didn't speak against the one child policy doesn't mean they were well informed or even being honest with you. If the One Child policy was so great and working so well, then why was it repealed? Are all those forcibly sterilized women happy?
Another thread please or this one gets shut down or some aggressive pruning is gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.