Corrugated roofs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

enchant

Nov 5, 2016
Marshfield, MA
Seasoned wood ain't as seasoned as it used to be. I used to be able to buy wood advertised as "seasoned", and it used to burn pretty well. Lately, "seasoned" seems to mean "cut prior to the current month". I had a cord of seasoned wood delivered in August. I recently got through the wood I bought a couple years ago and started burning the new stuff. I might as well be throwing cement blocks into my stove.

So since I can't trust the tree guys to be honest with what they're selling, I'm going to have to buy green. And I'm going to have to build additional storage.

In a couple of threads here, I see people talking about using corrugated roofs on their wood sheds. I like the idea of this, because tarps have a tendency to blow off, tear and leak. But I know nothing about them. Who sells them? I see corrugated panels at Lowes, but I'm only seeing 2x8 and 2x12. I think I want 6' long maximum. Is something like that available? Any specific materials I should be looking for or avoiding? Metal? Plastic?

Thanks. 8' is really way too long for my needs. Home Depot actually sells Ondura panels in a 6.5' x 4' size which might suit my needs. They only sell them in 10-packs, which is probably more than twice what I need.

I go very low tech with roofing. Unless I have some scraps around, I build a 8 by 4 by 6' high pile of firewood stacked on pallets. I block in my corners but some folks use end boards or other ways of keeping it rectangular. I then screw three sets of 4' two by fours into the ends of the firewood with long deck screws on the front and back of the piles. I leave the tops on the front row a couple of inches higher than the back row and put a slight overall tilt from left to right. I then screw in three cross pieces between the two by fours front to back. The roofing which I usually scrounge is laid down left to right with the seams overlapped if there are any or just overlapped. I then screw right down through the roofing to the three cross pieces. The cross pieces keep a good air gap between the top of the pile and the bottom of the roofing and provides good air circulation. I overhang the roofing a few inches on all sides. It works well, despite close to 4' span I can still let snow build a couple of feet deep without it bending. Without a lot of work I could stuff in some firewood to provide intermediate supports but have never had to.

My wood shed roof is polycarbonate corrugated.
I see polycarbonate panels by Suntuf on Amazon. They look like what I'd want. A little more expensive that I'd have liked, but I can get used to that. I like the idea of see-through for faster seasoning, but I have to wonder how much effect this has on the wood underneath the top layer. I'm thinking that Hunter Green might be less optically intrusive to the neighbors.

Probably a sensible way to go, but I don't have the tools for that.

Of course, Lowes will cut plywood in half for me. Maybe they can use the same machine for corrugated metal? :D :D

No, they won't. They cut wood only as far as I know. Been there, done that. You can buy a cheap grinder with a cutting wheel or rent something at Home Depot. Building a wood shed without necessary tools is going to be a challenge.

Cut roofing panels with tin snips, not an angle grinder. Right handed or left handed snips are very nice for long cuts, it pushes the panel up above your hand so it's not a PITA like with aviation snips.

A real lumber yard should have a better selection and cheaper prices than Lowes. Ag metal is good stuff and is even rated as a diaphragm for shear. I would not order roof panels online, they will cost a lot more than finding something local.

These are extremely high quality, still made in USA. If you are right handed I would get the 'left' red handle pair if you only want one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OCGQG3S/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Reactions: mike van
made lean to with the lowes metal roof and I cut them with the angle grinder and cut off wheel. I tried the snips and it was to tough and its tough to make a strait line. you can get them cheap and the disks are cheap at har freight. and you can cut a few at a time

jigsaw with a metal blade

Reactions: rowerwet
I know what you are saying enchant... I have purchased from Nessarella's, the hardware store on 139, and the Green Connection in Scituate and received sub prime "seasoned" wood in the past... Now I go into the woods and get my own and I know it's truly seasoned. Good luck with the wood shed build.. Post pics when you complete it please... Thanks, J

I have purchased from Nessarella's, the hardware store on 139

Cool! A local!

Nessarella's charges $500 + delivery for kill-dried, which is out of my price range. I bought once from Taylor Lumber (I'm guessing that's the Rt 139 place you mentioned), but it was the filthiest wood I've ever seen. I think it was the last wood they scooped off the dirt parking lot before they ran out, and I got a lot of dirt delivered onto my driveway.

I've had reasonably good luck with Yankee Tree out of Hanover, but he doesn't season his wood very long, and he'll be honest about that. I'd love to find someone local and reasonably priced with seasoned wood, but short of that, I'll probably get a couple cords of green delivered from Yankee this spring and just store more of it.

Yes, Taylor lumber.. Mix pine in with your hardwood for 350.00 a cord of dirt and some wood.. No Thanks!! I've also dealt with Wymans nursery in Hanson. Not bad quality, but they run out quick... Cheers!!

cant believe what people pay, I would buy green and store it if I had to pay anything. cant believe how much area are different in price. I think I paid 50 for a pickup truck load last time. my parents used to pay 20 from one of the state parks. you might check places like that around. I bought that from an arborist, they charge a ton to take it down so its like double money when they sell it

As mentioned prior a circular saw with the blade on backwards will run right thru the sheet.

You gotta have a circular saw if you're going to build anything.

Reactions: nrford
If you have a circular saw just place the blade in backwards, and cut
the panel in half. It's as easy as cutting a wood panel.
Make sure to wear eye protection.

You beat me to it...works well!

Reactions: jackatc1
Probably a sensible way to go, but I don't have the tools for that.

Of course, Lowes will cut plywood in half for me. Maybe they can use the same machine for corrugated metal? :D :D

A skill saw with an old fine tooth blade on backwards cuts this stuff good.