Corrugated roofs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No one answered about the cutting blade I posted. Does that mean it's unsuitable for corrugated metal?
They sure will!

No one answered about the cutting blade I posted. Does that mean it's unsuitable for corrugated metal?
Those will cut through the metal like a hot knife through warm butter. Forget the tin snips, and I've never tried a backward circular saw blade. The only issue will be keeping a straight line. I'm sure you can figure that out, though.

When I needed to cut my chimney liner, I tried the angle grinder, and I still don't know what folks who recommended tin snips are thinking.

Reactions: fire_man
That blade will work with just about any metal.
Provided you put it in the tool it was intended for.
Would probably work in a saw not recomended
From experience I found an old dull blade in a saw works best.

Thanks. 8' is really way too long for my needs. Home Depot actually sells Ondura panels in a 6.5' x 4' size which might suit my needs. They only sell them in 10-packs, which is probably more than twice what I need.

The website sells them in 10-packs. Stores sell them single, if you can find a store that carries them. You may get a good price, too, because some stores seem to be clearancing them out.

Reactions: St. Coemgen
The website sells them in 10-packs. Stores sell them single, if you can find a store that carries them. You may get a good price, too, because some stores seem to be clearancing them out.
Not surprising. Ondura is asphalt soaked cardboard with a coat of paint. Metal roofing is going to be way more durable. I'm sure it'll be fine for folks who have it, but I'm using metal...

Not surprising. Ondura is asphalt soaked cardboard with a coat of paint. Metal roofing is going to be way more durable. I'm sure it'll be fine for folks who have it, but I'm using metal...

I've used Palram products (corregated plastic roofing) for a couple things, and it's done well so far. I think any home depot has them, and it comes in 12' pieces if you need 6' lengths.

Ondura is asphalt soaked cardboard with a coat of paint.

Meh. So what. It still should last decades. Which is still probably longer than the shed walls will last. And can be cut with a utility knife. One can us a metal roof if one wants, of course. But, remember, engineering is doing just enough to make it cost effective to do the job required. Over engineering is just wasted money. I recently replaced a 35 year old ondura roof, only because it simply "looked old", but was otherwise doing the job. And it was easy, cheap and quick. And it had quite a few complicated cuts to make. A metal roof replacement would have been silly for the amount of work required, and thus very expensive.

I also have a polycarbonate plastic roof on another structure that I put up at the same time. Also easy to cut (but requires at least a hand saw). "Only" a 20 years guarantee. I am interested to see (in 30 years or so) which one is doing better. ;)

Reactions: jetsam
Meh. So what. It still should last decades. Which is still probably longer than the shed walls will last. And can be cut with a utility knife. One can us a metal roof if one wants, of course. But, remember, engineering is doing just enough to make it cost effective to do the job required. Over engineering is just wasted money. I recently replaced a 35 year old ondura roof, only because it simply "looked old", but was otherwise doing the job. And it was easy, cheap and quick. And it had quite a few complicated cuts to make. A metal roof replacement would have been silly for the amount of work required, and thus very expensive.

I also have a polycarbonate plastic roof on another structure that I put up at the same time. Also easy to cut (but requires at least a hand saw). "Only" a 20 years guarantee. I am interested to see (in 30 years or so) which one is doing better. ;)
Good perspective. Nothing lasts forever, and if it does the job, why not? Should I really care whether my wood shed roof is good for 50 years? Probably not.

I use whatever doesnt cost me anything. I have some old galvanized roofing from a friends roof on one stack, some standard raised seam siding that was used to cover the top and bottom of siding order on another stack and some PVC signboard with my former companies logo on another pile.

I use whatever doesnt cost me anything. I have some old galvanized roofing from a friends roof on one stack, some standard raised seam siding that was used to cover the top and bottom of siding order on another stack and some PVC signboard with my former companies logo on another pile.
I am in complete agreement with this. I'm always interested in not spending money on my money saving endeavors.

I used ondura roofing from lowes when I built my shed, great stuff to work with, cut real easy and once mounted to purlins it was real stiff. The only thing I would change is the purlins, I used the cheap 1x3's, If I were to build another shed I would use 5/8" deck boards.

Lowe's search function sucks hard. I searched for "corrugated roof" and "corrugated roofing". No Ondura showed up. After seeing Kenny's post, I searched for "Ondura". The only thing that showed up was Ondura nails and cross link roof panel closures. But then under the list of results, there is a section, "Customers Who Searched ''ondura'' Also Viewed". In that section are various colors of "Ondura 4-ft x 6.58-ft Corrugated Asphalt Roof Panel". If I search specifically for "Ondura 4-ft x 6.58-ft Corrugated Asphalt Roof Panel", the only thing that comes up is a non-Ondura roof vent.

Lowe's search function sucks hard. I searched for "corrugated roof" and "corrugated roofing". No Ondura showed up. After seeing Kenny's post, I searched for "Ondura". The only thing that showed up was Ondura nails and cross link roof panel closures. But then under the list of results, there is a section, "Customers Who Searched ''ondura'' Also Viewed". In that section are various colors of "Ondura 4-ft x 6.58-ft Corrugated Asphalt Roof Panel". If I search specifically for "Ondura 4-ft x 6.58-ft Corrugated Asphalt Roof Panel", the only thing that comes up is a non-Ondura roof vent.
Weird, I def got that stuff from lowes, was around $28 a sheet, but it was a dream to work with.

That’s weird I can search for ondura roofing and it comes up for me. Must be a location thing.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Yes, the home improvement stores have terrible websites.

If you turn off the location thing on your phone/computer and clear your cookies and cache, I bet you'd find it in your searches. Please don't ask me how to do any of that, I'm just hanging on for dear life myself.

We are a collection of wood burners, wood cutters, wood splitters. We all like free , I mean, who doesn't. So I pose this question to you, what do you do with your stumps? You want something cheap and effective, how about cutting your stumps into shake blocks and splitting them down with a fro?

All of the old timers used a fro to split out wooden shingles. And I know we all have creosote to mix with a little bit of kerosene to paint those shingles eh?

Costs zero dollars, just a little bit of effort on your part, lasts a damn long time as long as its painted in creosote regardless of species. Looks badass too. Your woodshed will be the envy of all your neighbors.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
We are a collection of wood burners, wood cutters, wood splitters. We all like free , I mean, who doesn't. So I pose this question to you, what do you do with your stumps? You want something cheap and effective, how about cutting your stumps into shake blocks and splitting them down with a fro?

All of the old timers used a fro to split out wooden shingles. And I know we all have creosote to mix with a little bit of kerosene to paint those shingles eh?

Costs zero dollars, just a little bit of effort on your part, lasts a damn long time as long as its painted in creosote regardless of species. Looks badass too. Your woodshed will be the envy of all your neighbors.

Love this idea. What kind of wood would you use? Cedar would be good, light and rot/insect resistant, but I'm sure others work, too. Just need to get a fro.

Love this idea. What kind of wood would you use? Cedar would be good, light and rot/insect resistant, but I'm sure others work, too. Just need to get a fro.

Cedar is usually your best bet. Old growth white oak is also rot resistant. Elm is water resistant, I've never tried to make shingles from it, but I just assume it would be a groan to beat a fro through. But really if you save your creosote like I do, mix it with kerosene or diesel to thin it and paint it on the shingles like you would fence posts and boards and it will last damn near forever.

I knew an old guy who basically made a living going to logging sites and asking if he could clean up and cut stumps. He would take the stumps and cut them into wooden shakes, which if you go to buy from a legit vendor to do house roofs are pretty damned expensive.

Cedar is usually your best bet. Old growth white oak is also rot resistant. Elm is water resistant, I've never tried to make shingles from it, but I just assume it would be a groan to beat a fro through. But really if you save your creosote like I do, mix it with kerosene or diesel to thin it and paint it on the shingles like you would fence posts and boards and it will last damn near forever.
How do you save your creosote?

I knew an old guy who basically made a living going to logging sites and asking if he could clean up and cut stumps. He would take the stumps and cut them into wooden shakes, which if you go to buy from a legit vendor to do house roofs are pretty damned expensive.
That sounds like a good way to earn some dough.

Aren't stumps nearly impossible to split into thin shingles/shakes? The grain curves when it spreads out into the roots. Maybe stump means something different to me.

I'd try to figure out how to use my electric splitter to save on the physical labor.

How do you save your creosote?

I have a big clayton wood furnace. I can fit a 5 gallon bucket through the door when I brush out my pipe (its a straight shot, no elbow)

When cutting shingles aka wooden shakes you use a tool called a fro. Some are curved some are straight bladed. Just think of a sickle but sharpened on the opposite side. You tap it down the grain with a wooden mallet.

Riving wooden shakes is a good beer drinking activity to hide from your wife in the evenings ;)

So, looks like my spelling is off. The tool is a froe. Check them out.