Corrugated roofs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a big clayton wood furnace. I can fit a 5 gallon bucket through the door when I brush out my pipe (its a straight shot, no elbow)

When cutting shingles aka wooden shakes you use a tool called a fro. Some are curved some are straight bladed. Just think of a sickle but sharpened on the opposite side. You tap it down the grain with a wooden mallet.

Riving wooden shakes is a good beer drinking activity to hide from your wife in the evenings ;)
Fascinating stuff. 5 gallon buckets of creosote!

I'm familiar with a fro, my point is, this sounds good with straight grained block of of wood to start, but my stumps are anything but straight grained. Plus, it's really hard to get them out of the ground, with all those pesky roots attached.

And, I suppose the woman would steer clear of me if I was wielding a reverse sickle in one hand and a beer in the other, like some sort of malty grim reaper.

Reactions: Raithi
Im sort of a special case I guess. I have a 20,000 lb 6x6 military truck to pull stumps. I really only do that when I find something with cool buttress roots that I can slab off and make a table. Just cut the stump at ground level, clean it up so its 12 - 20 inches. As long as your stump isn't SUPER gnarly its not bad. Just chip away on the outside, spin the stump and repeat.

I've done it with a few smaller projects, didn't seem too terrible to me. Couple of nights, case of beer or two. Got a roof.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Im sort of a special case I guess. I have a 20,000 lb 6x6 military truck to pull stumps. I really only do that when I find something with cool buttress roots that I can slab off and make a table. Just cut the stump at ground level, clean it up so its 12 - 20 inches. As long as your stump isn't SUPER gnarly its not bad. Just chip away on the outside, spin the stump and repeat.

I've done it with a few smaller projects, didn't seem too terrible to me. Couple of nights, case of beer or two. Got a roof.
All I have to say about this is, AWESOME. I'm not generally a envious man, but, I'd like to try some of that. I've had a self hewn wood shingled woodshed in my mind for many years now.