Cost of Electricity for Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

UpStateNY

Feeling the Heat
May 4, 2008
Catskill Mountains
Has anyone else seen a difference in electric usage due to pellet stove?

It looks like I lowered my electric bills by 1,100 less KWs this last heating season December Thru February. The major difference is I did not use my pellet stove in 2019 to 2020. At 17 cents a KW that is almost $200 savings just for electric by not using my pellet stove. I used propane hot water boiler baseboard heating, which uses some electric for hot water circulators.

No increase I can tell. If I don't use pellet stove it's Heat Pump. In Really Cold it uses strip heat. So pellet stove is cheaper. Now the four 5k heaters I do notice increase.

Very little. I did the math and I’d be using $13 a month of electricity if it was on high 24/7. Then I’m running more lights in the winter. Compare that with around $30 a month to run the dehumidifier in the basement in the summer, and it’s about a wash, my bill is about the same year round.

No difference here either. Same year round, within $10 every month. All electric here, no natural gas, propane or heating oil. Lennox heat pump with auxiliary/emergency heat strip, which is why we got the Harman. Once heating season hits, it's 24/7 for the stove till spring. Run up to 4 small fans(depending on heat need) plus the heat pump air handler to circulate the heat. Dehumidifier along with the a/c side of the heat pump all summer. Last months electric bill was $136 with heavy a/c usage, First winter here, electric bill was $450 a month trying to heat this place. Average $130 - $140 month now. Harman already paid for itself in the 6 years we've owned it.

Ran a meter on my stove from January to may, 10-11$/month

The cost of electricity to run my stove is not important
It is the heat that's important here in the Great White North

over the winter i save about $300-500 on hydro and about $1000 on my gas bill and thats after i factor in the cost of pellets for the season... Before the stove i used to run a dehumidifier 24/7 and the furnace... No more dehumidifier and the furnace only gets used in the mornings to take the chill off and gets bumped up a bit during the really cold weeks. I do not leave me stove running while im at work..