Cost of Picking up Your Own Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Example: Is Paying a service to cut your grass cheaper than doing it yourself [since u don't have to drive somewhere [Cost of driven gas] to get a gas can filled [cost of gas for mower] or is that just for the convenience of not having to do it yourself ? maybe I'm comparing Apples/Oranges here..:oops:

Yeah... It's apples and oranges. :rolleyes:

Dan

I've got better things to do then drive back and forth all day throwing half ton in the minivan..lol I do agree that the delivery charge from wp.com is high

The thing is even if I had them deliver to my driveway,[70.00 for 2 skids] we still have to cut open the covering, un-load from the Driveway into our basement..
Usually 1 person on the truck drops a bag to 1 person on the ground and hands off thru the basement window[ Picture showing] to a 3rd person that stacks on the floor.
Actually surprised that only takes about 10 minutes or so to store 1 ton with 3 people.
So not worth us paying delivery since the above routine would be the same [minus a person On Truck handing down bags] since skids would be on the ground.

Now on the other hand, if I had a garage that they just forklifted the skids into still wraped and all, Maybe I would have a delivery. Then again, might just un-load Truck and re-stack in the garage to save delivery charge .In the end, Whatever works best for everyone.... >>

Attachments

• 10151137_839547302729343_7793896227391643054_n.jpg
    10151137_839547302729343_7793896227391643054_n.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
The thing is even if I had them deliver to my driveway,[70.00 for 2 skids] we have to cut open the covering, un-load from the truck into our basement..
Usually 1 person on the truck drops a bag to 1 person on the ground and hands off thru the basement window[ Picture showing] to a 3rd person that stacks on the floor.
Actually surprised that only takes about 10 minutes or so to store 1 ton with 3 people.
So not worth paying delivery since the above routine would be the same minus a person On Truck handing down bags.
I unload, move and stack all the pellets with no help. I can usually put away 2 tons by myself over the course of a Saturday. I don't want the remainder of the pellets out blocking up the driveway until I get get them put away. I won't unwrap a pallet in the rain so inclement weather makes this process take even longer. I'd much rather pick them up and put them away at my own pace.

I had 4 tons delivered the first year I had my stove. The got them as far as into the garage enough to close the door but I had to re-stack them all at the back of the garage anyway. So I paid for delivery just to have to re-stack anyway, and they took up a lot of space in the garage that I needed. So last year I built racks in the basement to store them (could hold roughly 6 tons if I want). For storage it works out great, but it's all below grade and no window for pass through. So I carry and re-stack every bag myself, through the garage then through the kitchen and down the stairs. It's a lot of work, so this year I'm doing more smaller loads to make it easier on myself.
I also mix up what I buy, meaning that I get my pellets from at least a few different places, so I would either have to get all the same pellets or pay multiple delivery charges...no thanks!
Now, if I had a situation where the pallets could just be pallet jacked into place without me handling them again, I might be willing to pay for that service, I just don't.

I unload, move and stack all the pellets with no help. I can usually put away 2 tons by myself over the course of a Saturday. I don't want the remainder of the pellets out blocking up the driveway until I get get them put away. I won't unwrap a pallet in the rain so inclement weather makes this process take even longer. I'd much rather pick them up and put them away at my own pace.
Your a Better Man than me Gunga Din.....
with my setup, I would have to put a couple bags near that basement window, go back in the house, downstairs to the basement, pull the bags in , then go back up the steps, out to the driveway, rinse/lather/repeat about 40x...Not that young anymore
[I see dlehnman has it even harder... Whew!!!!

Yeah, I definitely earn my dinner those days! I'm the type of guy that likes to stay busy and have a hard time relaxing, so doing a lot of work gives me an excuse to sit in my recliner with a drink when I'm done :)

Your a Better Man than me Gunga Din.....
with my setup, I would have to put a couple bags near that basement window, go back in the house, downstairs to the basement, pull the bags in , then go back up the steps, out to the driveway, rinse/lather/repeat about 40x...Not that young anymore
[I see dlehnman has it even harder... Whew!!!!

Mine is actually alot easier than yours. I have a walk in basement. I load the pellets 5 bags at a time onto a dolly then just wheel them in and restack them. 10 trips and I'm done.

Yeah, I definitely earn my dinner those days! I'm the type of guy that likes to stay busy and have a hard time relaxing, so doing a lot of work gives me an excuse to sit in my recliner with a drink when I'm done :)
Hell, if u didn't live so far from Pa, we could hang out here, have a beer or 2 and if u get antsy, there would be a truckload of pellets in the driveway and,,,, oh never mind.:cool:

Reactions: dlehneman
Mine is actually alot easier than yours. I have a walk in basement. I load the pellets 5 bags at a time onto a dolly then just wheel them in and restack them. 10 trips and I'm done.
AHHHH Tim...
you have one of those basements.. Lucky.....
but, as I posted, 10 minutes or so per skid here.

AHHHH Tim...
you have one of those basements.. Lucky.....
but, as I posted, 10 minutes or so per skid here.
A skid takes me about an hour but I have no help.

I feel sooo spoiled! The truck backs down the drive way... then 1 ton at a time onto a pallet jack... into the garage... I point to where it goes and all is delivered, unloaded, 'parked' to where I pointed, the garage doors are shut and the truck is speeding away all in about 15 minutes. Before anyone hates... I drive an hour and a half each way to and from work and have for the last 18 years... at least the pellet delivery portion of my life is easy :)

Reactions: Justin M
I feel sooo spoiled! The truck backs down the drive way... then 1 ton at a time onto a pallet jack... into the garage... I point to where it goes and all is delivered, unloaded, 'parked' to where I pointed, the garage doors are shut and the truck is speeding away all in about 15 minutes. Before anyone hates... I drive an hour and a half each way to and from work and have for the last 18 years... at least the pellet delivery portion of my life is easy :)
I'm sure many pellet stove owners do the same deal...
Whatever works best in your situation and if u don't mind paying delivery costs then your a happy Pellethead..:)
Regardless of having delivered or picked up,
Most important chore is getting your Pellet supply Now and not waiting if u can afford it.
Got my 2 tons of Energex premium hardwoods on early buy this past May and waiting for 2 tons of Energex Golden hardwoods which should be delivered to my dealer any day now..
[Big Fire at the Plant last winter slowed production down a bit]

Last edited:
Reactions: Boomer Sailor
I'm sure many pellet stove owners do the same deal...
Whatever works best in your situation and if u don't mind paying delivery costs then your a happy Pellethead..:)
Yes.. and a warm pellethead at that!

So what does it take to be a Pellet Hog? I'm guessing more than the 4+ tones we have

From what I have read, I think 6 tons or more? someone chime in here....:eek:
I only have room for 4.... then one of the cars sleeps on the driveway all winter. Talk about a battle I will not be fighting!!

I'm a newb, have had a pc45 a few years, basement install. I haul the bags up 4 steps into the house, down 13 into basement and restack. Using 3 tons or so a year this routine gets old. I keep thinking a slide on the stairs would save some time. Also have a basement window that could be used, this would actually work better since it would save the up into the house trip.
Has anyone built a slide to run bags down?
Wondering if the bags and pellets survive,

I'm a newb, have had a pc45 a few years, basement install. I haul the bags up 4 steps into the house, down 13 into basement and restack. Using 3 tons or so a year this routine gets old. I keep thinking a slide on the stairs would save some time. Also have a basement window that could be used, this would actually work better since it would save the up into the house trip.
OMG my back hurts just imagining your effort! I've read that some bags rip more easily than others... I hope you can find a slide solution long before the temps drop :)

I know I saw a post about someone doing that last year with the slide into the basement. Maybe they'll chime in. I would think it would have to be pretty smooth to avoid damage since the bags rip pretty easily.

I've already got about 4 tons stashed in the basement this year, so my work is almost done. I'll probably get one more just because I like overkill :)

I normally buy 4. I bought 6 this year because I made room.

sore back? thought i'd expedite things last year and do 2 bags at a trip, i made 2 trips and tweeked a muscle, so much for saving time.
Guessing a sheet of plywood ripped in half and maybe a roll of to cover it so it's a bit more slippery, a few 2x4's for legs and i'll have a 16' slide.

I've already got about 4 tons stashed in the basement this year, so my work is almost done. I'll probably get one more just because I like overkill :)
Overkill = Warmth in my book. (my back still hurts thinking of your effort)

Mine got thru the Basement window [next to the truck]. both windows come out.
can't see it but 2 windows there..

Attachments

• 10151137_839547302729343_7793896227391643054_n.jpg
    10151137_839547302729343_7793896227391643054_n.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 102
Mine got thru the Basement window [next to the truck]. both windows come out.
can't see it but 2 windows there..
Do you let them just drop to the floor? I thought about it but assumed without trying that i'd just have a bag of crumbs.
I have a similar setup, driveway right by the window. The crap piled below the is another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.