COST OF YOUR FIREWOOD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in the Berkshires a full cord c,s,d of mixed hardwood is now running $200-250, with some going for nearly double claimed to be seasoned for 2-3 years. Most all of what is left available now is green or nearly so. I bought 6 seasoned cords early from a local farmer for $1000, $167/cord c,s,d and am happy with that. Will buy another 6 green from him in December/January for a prearranged $130/cord to replenish.

Bigg_Redd said:
Only suckers pay for firewood.

Welcome to the forum! You'll have no trouble making lots of friends!

Just bought the house last year and cut/split 2 cord of standing dead plus split another 1/2 cord from an existing pile.

Chainsaw (cheap homelite) - $130
Maul - $25
Wedges - $10
fuel & bar oil - $20
tree lot - $420k

So that works out to be about $168000 a cord - Do you think I paid too much??
The tree lot does have a nice building that keeps SWMBO happy as a bonus.

I just need to change out my Heatilator ZC for somthing that can throw some real heat now.

Aaron

I would expect more than 2 and a half cords from a 420K treelot .

Sure that isn't a cranberry bog ?

Well if you look at the total cost...

Half of pickup (Other half for home repairs) - $750.00

Two Chainsaws - $1000.00

Misc Saw Equipment/Safety - $300.00

Stoves, Pipe Ect - $2800.00

Total Cost - $4850.00

Amortized over 5 years now, include cost of permit @ $5.00/cord

$990/yr. right now and falling

Average cost of gas heat per month w/high efficiency furnace $225.00 @ $11.00/MMBtu

Average Heating months per year - 6

Yearly heating cost on Natural Gas ~$1350.00

So Right now my yearly savings since I have broken even is ~$1200 if you include pickup gas, Chainsaw gas, permits and various small items

My time is not included, however since I'm salary I can't just work more hours.

billb3 said:
I would expect more than 2 and a half cords from a 420K treelot .

Sure that isn't a cranberry bog ?

Should have put smiley's - the "tree lot" is the 3.5 acres my house sits on. Around here that's a cheap price for a 3.5 acre lot and medium sized house. My last house sat on 1/4 acre and had exactly one tree for >300K and I would have cut that evil thing down (the tree) if the town would have let me!

Here in Delaware, I just paid $400 for 3 1/2 real cords, delivered. It was comprised of about 40% red oak, 20% Black Gum, 20% Tulip Poplar, and the rest is Black Locust and Cherry. Been dealing with this dude for 2 years now, very satisfied. Cuts my logs a little extra long for me, since I can fit 22".

cut my own, but can cost alot to buy the tools to get the job done. Beating the gas man price less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.