Costa Concordia raising

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitting up straight again for the first time in over a year.

Absolutely one of the greatest engineering feats in the history of mankind. Amazing. Once the ballast went under and filled it was rising at an incredible rate....

Just remember: only 1/3 to 1/4 of the ship is currently out of water......lots of work still ahead but I think the hardest part has been accomplished.

Andrew

Amazes me that they have to scrap it. Can't be rebuilt?

Looks totaled to me.

Reactions: Jags
Its truly amazing when you consider this ship is well over twice the size of the Titanic, by displacement.

It's totaled. Too bad, it was well built. Otherwise it might have broken up already.

Just remember: only 1/3 to 1/4 of the ship is currently out of water......lots of work still ahead but I think the hardest part has been accomplished.

Andrew

It will be interesting to see how they go at shoring this thing up so that they can get the water pumped out. (if that is even in the game plan).

The next step after assessing the damage on the starboard side is to attach caissons like on the port side. Both sides will be pumped out and filled with air to float the boat. There's a large hole in the hull from where it crashed into the granite reef. I would assume that as the ship starts to float seawater will drain out of that hole, but maybe there will be pumping out too?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19962191

Last edited:
Ahhh...forgot about the floats they are hanging off this thing. Recognized them as ballast during the raise, but forgot they can be full of air too.;em

Status
Not open for further replies.