Cougar Ash Vac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Anybody have one of these ash vacs?

Supposed to be fire resistant - more so than a regular shop vac.

Just curious if it is just another expensive hearth toy or really worth how much they are selling for..

I've given mine a good workout all winter, no problems except the hose separated from the coupling. screwed it back in by unscrewing it. tried to go clockwise but it just spred the wrapped metal, counterclockwise worked. the metal vacuum nozzle sometimes gets clogged up with unburnt embers, ash gets sucked away fine if you rub the tip on the biottom of the stove or appliance your trying to clean. Will clean my Tarm out in about 5 minutes. Loud! sweetheat :)

sweetheat said:
I. Loud! sweetheat :)

Is yours the Cheetah or the Cougar model? I have heard that the Cougar is supposed to be quieter.

How much noisier than a shop vac?

Is it worth the money they charge do you think?

I believe I ordered the cougar. I wear my chainsaw hearing protectors when I think of it. I don't have any comparison, never heard the cheetah! if the cougar is supposed to be quieter, the cheetah must really roar. about the same as a shop vac. plenty of power for the vacuum, good fine ash bag that protects the motor, sucks up hot embers with no incident's, expensive is relative to your needs. I like it! I'd say it's worth the money. bought another hose and coupled the two together. no problem reaching the back of my Tarm. sweetheat :lol:

Sweetheat-

Thanks for the info and the note on using hearing protectors. :ahhh:

Now I will wait and see if there is ever a sale on one as I don't need one right away....

I have the louder of the two (can't remember which that is) - it is loud. I use hearing protectors.

I bought it for my small firebox Lopi Answer stove. There is a metal hose and a metal "diameter reducer" connected to the hose. The way you are supposed to use this is to hold the end perpendicular to the firebox that you are trying to clean out. With a small firebox, that means that there is a lot of stress at the mating of the reducer and the hose. You guessed it - mine broke off, and I can't get if back on. I'm guessing I'll have to buy a new assembly someday. What I've taken to doing is cleaning out the ash with a shovel and pail, and using the ash vac to provide suction and avoid having the dust rise out of the ash bucket into the air.

In summary, I wouldn't get one of these if you have a small firebox like I do.

If you have a large firebox, then the only annoying thing about it is that it tends to get clogged a lot. I keep a straightened hangar handy to unclog it.

i've got one, I wish the hose was larger diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.