Couldn't take it..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tar12

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2016
Indiana
I couldn't take it any longer! It hit 63 here today and I had to try out the New Fiskars X27 and the new Fiskars 8lb maul. Both worked admirably! I had a spot that a road ran right up to and along the edge of that old road was the top of a giant white oak we could back right up to and we did and went to cutting and splitting! The following pic is the 3rd and last load of the day. The Fiskars got a serious work out and did not disappoint! On the larger rounds my son and I ganged up on them with the Fiskar maul and my 8lb Biber maul and busted them into manageable pieces and then finished them off with the X27. 63 and sunshine made for a beautiful day to be outside! Going to go back in the morning and get some more and then I will have to wait until next weekend for it to freeze. Its a absolute soggy mess everywhere here...

Attachments

• IMG_2387.jpg
    IMG_2387.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 251
Just picked up the same Fiskars combo...what an improvement over what I grew up swinging, which was essentially a wedge on the end of a bone-rattling hickory handle.
Yes sir ...that analogy is spot on!

I couldn't take it any longer! It hit 63 here today and I had to try out the New Fiskars X27 and the new Fiskars 8lb maul. Both worked admirably! I had a spot that a road ran right up to and along the edge of that old road was the top of a giant white oak we could back right up to and we did and went to cutting and splitting! The following pic is the 3rd and last load of the day. The Fiskars got a serious work out and did not disappoint! On the larger rounds my son and I ganged up on them with the Fiskar maul and my 8lb Biber maul and busted them into manageable pieces and then finished them off with the X27. 63 and sunshine made for a beautiful day to be outside! Going to go back in the morning and get some more and then I will have to wait until next weekend for it to freeze. Its a absolute soggy mess everywhere here...
I'm jealous! It was 50 and drizzly here today. I spent the day working through some red oak and slogging through the mud. I have the same Fiskars combo as you but on the big stuff I've been using the maul almost exclusively. I used to switch back & forth more but I found that the differing handle lengths would mess up my swing.

That's too warm to be out doing that stuff. I prefer to be doing that when it's MUCH cooler. :) Plus oak splits easier when it's froze :)

I'm jealous! It was 50 and drizzly here today. I spent the day working through some red oak and slogging through the mud. I have the same Fiskars combo as you but on the big stuff I've been using the maul almost exclusively. I used to switch back & forth more but I found that the differing handle lengths would mess up my swing.

I couldn't imagine working wood in this chilly muddy mess we call NOVA today.

That's too warm to be out doing that stuff. I prefer to be doing that when it's MUCH cooler. :) Plus oak splits easier when it's froze :)
We broke a sweat or 2 today and I prefer for it to be much cooler as well..but since time dosent stand still for me... I got my butt out there and got her done when I can! I will cut all summer as well.. lol Once the weather breaks for good its very hard for me to get any wood cutting done..it has been unseasonably warm here the last 2 weeks..we should have snow and frozen ground...

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
We broke a sweat or 2 today and I prefer for it to be much cooler as well..but since time dosent stand still for me... I got my butt out there and got her done when I can! I will cut all summer as well.. lol Once the weather breaks for good its very hard for me to get any wood cutting done..it has been unseasonably warm here the last 2 weeks..we should have snow and frozen ground...

yeah, it's been warm lately here too. I can't get into the woods and do anything now because I need the ground to be frozen so I don't turn it into a mud bog while hauling. I cross marshy areas a couple times. We went from -10 to +40 in about two weeks. I'd be happy with somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: Coog
yeah, it's been warm lately here too. I can't get into the woods and do anything now because I need the ground to be frozen so I don't turn it into a mud bog while hauling. I cross marshy areas a couple times. We went from -10 to +40 in about two weeks. I'd be happy with somewhere in the middle.
Its looking like it will change for the better from Wednesday night on here with lows in the low 20s at night.:) PERFECT!