Country Comfort CC300 Chimney Insert Questions

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PoorHouse

New Member
Sep 30, 2026
3
PA
Good Morning Friends!

I got this Country Comfort CC300 insert for free and am cleaning it up and making it look pretty right now. This is a short term solution as I save money for a newer unit. With 6" liners being the new standard, can I get away using one with this unit?

A local supplier has a Vermont Casting adapter that fits the oblong oval to get this to 6" round.

Any similar experiences?

Thanks,

Poor Man
 
It doesn't look like a 6" liner would work. This is a big insert. The manual doesn't say what size liner would work, but it does list the minimum chimney size of a whopping 175 sq in.! Based on the oval flue opening size it looks like this needs an 8" liner.


 
What's the drawback on using a smaller liner? Math wise, a 8" liner would be 50 sq inch, which is still short, no?

I guess the other option is to make an adapter pipe as seen in the manual and just pull the insert for thorough cleaning yearly until I have a pro come in for a new unit. I think we'll only use it a couple times a weeks.

Edit: The current boot opening is roughly 50 sq in too. So I guess 8" is about right. Not sure why the manual would say 175 sq in chimney