Country Flame B-1 question and opinons?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wlrottge

Nov 24, 2008
Alabama
So, my wife and I moved into a family home on the farm this time last year. We wanted to convert our wood fireplace back to wood and add an insert after burning ~100 gallons of propane PER MONTH last winter.

I was looking at new inserts when I happened upon a used Country Flame B-1 ($200). It looks like the model that preceded the BBF and was in very solid shape. We've pulled the unit completely apart and are repainting and polishing all the brass. I pulled out the blower yesterday b/c it was not working and ran into my first problem... it does not work. (Yes, I shorted across the temperature sensor to make sure it kicked on)

I used my DVM and checked all the wires. All the wiring is hot when appropriate, so I figured it's the motor. I called Country Flame and that motor is no longer available.... anyone else dealt with this?

Anyone else have this unit? Thoughts? Tips??

Thanks!!!

p.s. B/c of this forum, I've already learned how to test my door seal! After the sweep comes on 12/5, hopefully we'll be ready to burn!

Post a picture of the motor for id. Also, there should be a brand or part number for the motor mfg on it. Look for something like Fasco ABC-12345.

I've had a hard time getting a number off the motor as there is nothing that really says, "model number-xxxxx"

This is in "large" letters on the side - OG88
and it says, "type" - U63B1

I'll look more closely when I get home.

Country Flame said this motor is no longer produced by Fasco and they don't have a replacement "yet". "We're working on it, could be weeks, could be much longer". I don't put much faith into how hard they're working the issue. the parts girl there was not a lot of help as was the tech support person. They "think" the BBF uses the same motor but they're not sure.

I had a country flame model B insert. Bought in 1983 by the previous owner of the house. A very good insert that I replaced recently with a lopi freedom. I sold it just to get rid of it for $100.00. Everything worked on it. I replaced the power cord because the original shorted out from being pinched many times moving the insert out to clean the chimney. I was able to get the three speed switches, thermal disc, and I assumed if I needed it the three speed motor. This was at stove parts unlimited that you can find on this site. Go back to home page and search around. It was a fasco motor that you pulled a tray out to get to it. It stopped on me once and I blew dust out and oiled it. Possibly try that. But I called and talked to a lady with stove parts and she said give them the fasco number on the motor and they probably could cross reference it. It never stopped again so I didn't get that far. You will like the stove as it will produce a lot of heat. Yes it may use more wood and produce more creosote. But all in all I am not sure the freedom is that much of an improvement at least if you look at the cost of a new stove. Good luck and don't give up on the motor or the stove.

tonykeller said:
I had a country flame model B insert. Bought in 1983 by the previous owner of the house. A very good insert that I replaced recently with a lopi freedom. I sold it just to get rid of it for $100.00. Everything worked on it.

Now, that person got a deal! Given the cost of the BBF.... man.

Last night, I cleaned the motor with a motor safe degreaser till it rinsed clean. I blew the majority of the liquid out and let it dry for a half hour. I added oil to he ports, hooked it back up and still nothing. At that point I pulled it apart and it was apparent that the back bushing was causing a lot of friction. I tried running it again and still nothing... just a small wiff of smoke. I'd say there is a problem up in the coil and the motor is shot.

I looked at stoveparts.com and i also found this: http://servicesales.com/updated/img/country_flame.pdf

I'm going to call them and make sure that this is exactly what I need. I'm not 100% sure after looking at the application chart.

Attachments

• P1000328-sm.JPG
    P1000328-sm.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,182
That Model B is similar to the one I had. But mine looked to be in better condition than the one in the picture. In 1983 they only sold for 900.00. So that guy is selling it for more than it cost new many moons ago. It is not always about money. If I could help a poor guy in need to heat his home for a 100.00 I feel good. I lost
$51,000 dollars in the stock market in the month of October so what is a couple hundred dollars. I will have to say that while I enjoy the modern freedom insert the old country flame was almost as good. It actually put out as much heat as the freedom but it required more wood to do so and did produce more creosote. My clay flue was getting so much hard glaze creosote from the old stove that I needed to put a 8 inch flue liner on it. So I decided since I had to spend the money to get a flue might as well get a new stove. Good luck with the motor and your stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.