Cover stacked wood in summer? (So Cal / Santa Barbara)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FarmSun

Aug 11, 2022
Santa Barbara
Hello,

I just got about 1/3 cord of seasoned oak and 1/2 cord of seasoned mixed soft/hard wood. I stacked it a few inches away from my house (stucco). It's on the northside of my house, which is relatively protected (maybe 4 feet away from a nine foot hedge on between me and my neighbor).

It's summertime here and no danger of rain anytime soon. I live maybe 2 miles from the ocean (south of me) in Santa Barbara. It gets maybe a few hours of direct sun per day on the top and side.

My question: should I cover the wood?

Just the top, or fully?

And then once the rains start to come, should I cover just the top, or also the sides?

Thank you.

L

IMG-9095.jpg

I'm in the Santa Cruz mountains. I uncover my wood during the dry season so it dries faster.

I recommend not storing wood next to the house. The wood blocks air flow to the siding, so the siding (and the wood) stays wetter. I had wood stacked next to the siding for a while and when I moved it there was mildew on the siding. We probably get 4x the rain you get so you might get away with it. The other reason is fire. If there's a fire in your neighborhood the stack of wood will greatly reduce your houses's chance of survival. It's fertile ground for embers and if it burns it will ignite the house.

If the wood is already fully seasoned I would top cover it.

When seasoning wood I do leave it uncovered in the summer though

I'm in the Santa Cruz mountains. I uncover my wood during the dry season so it dries faster.

I recommend not storing wood next to the house. The wood blocks air flow to the siding, so the siding (and the wood) stays wetter. I had wood stacked next to the siding for a while and when I moved it there was mildew on the siding. We probably get 4x the rain you get so you might get away with it. The other reason is fire. If there's a fire in your neighborhood the stack of wood will greatly reduce your houses's chance of survival. It's fertile ground for embers and if it burns it will ignite the house.
Hi Eric. Thanks for your thoughts. The house is stucco and I have at least a few inches between the stack and the stucco, so I don't think that airflow/moisture is much of a concern (?). (I realize with wood siding this is a bigger deal). I also live in the middle of Santa Barbara - the chances of a fire here are pretty slim, as the population density is high (although I realize there's always a risk - and I'll keep this in mind next time I stack ..) TY!

Im not sure how it is there, but we’ve had a super dry summer here in upstate NY. I’ve got some ash that went from 30% down to 20% Mc in 3 months. Outside, stacked, and uncovered.

Im not sure how it is there, but we’ve had a super dry summer here in upstate NY. I’ve got some ash that went from 30% down to 20% Mc in 3 months. Outside, stacked, and uncovered.
Right on - thanks for the data point. Do you have a meter you suggest for checking moisture?

I use this one I got from HF. There are nicer ones out there, and also a bunch of other cheap ones on Amazon.

F48762D1-50D6-4E20-9339-B90F3773287D.jpeg

I have an MMD4E moisture meter.
It's simple technology. Ruggedness will differ a bit between different models/prices.

@DonTee; I went with pitch pine from fresh (35+%?) to 18% going from March to August on Long Island (more humid, coastal). I thought it'd be <25%, but it was already below 20%. Dry summer here too.

Reactions: bigealta and DonTee

Also any bugs in the wood are practically invited to make their way into your siding and house. If the wood is away from the house, there is some buffer.

Reactions: bigealta
I have an MMD4E moisture meter.
It's simple technology. Ruggedness will differ a bit between different models/prices.

@DonTee; I went with pitch pine from fresh (35+%?) to 18% going from March to August on Long Island (more humid, coastal). I thought it'd be <25%, but it was already below 20%. Dry summer here too.
Thanks Stoveliker

Personally, I leave my stacks naked and exposed to all the elements. Sometime in late Septemberish I will top cover. General studies have shown that there is not a significant difference between no cover and top cover. My experience has shown that uncovered is better in my area/environment of New England (just South of Boston). If you decide to cover never fully cover your stacks - only top cover.

And if you can get some distance between the stacks and your house, I advise that. Have fun.

Personally, I leave my stacks naked and exposed to all the elements. Sometime in late Septemberish I will top cover. General studies have shown that there is not a significant difference between no cover and top cover. My experience has shown that uncovered is better in my area/environment of New England (just South of Boston). If you decide to cover never fully cover your stacks - only top cover.

And if you can get some distance between the stacks and your house, I advise that. Have fun.
Awesome - thanks for the info

Top covering certainly makes a difference in the winter, nobody wants to have to bring snow covered wood into the house. I agree with you that it doesn't make much of a difference on how fast your wood seasons in the summer with a top cover or not.

That's interesting. I live West of Boston and don't notice any difference between cover vs top cover unless it's a very weird weather year. For example this year may have been slightly better uncovered due to the drought (RIP lawn). I just leave the top covers on all year so I don't have to fuss with it. I get good sun and wind on my stacks and good drying times. Burning 3 year old oak and maple this year it's going to be great!

PXL_20220828_225742715.jpg

Last edited: