Cover your stacks - plywood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Any updates on plywood to cover wood stacks? I haven't built my wood shed yet and its almost time to cover the stacks for the winter. I've been using tarps but they can be a hassle.

64F8FA56-B395-4D3B-AECC-723D41900ABA.jpeg

I still use plywood (yr 7 I believe), but nothing beats metal sheeting!

Any updates on plywood to cover wood stacks? I haven't built my wood shed yet and its almost time to cover the stacks for the winter. I've been using tarps but they can be a hassle.

I picked up a piece of cracked plywood from a construction site 5 years ago and it's still covering my woodshed just fine. Holds up well

Tarps or 6 MIL plastic sheets directly on the stacks never worked for me. Critters chew holes, plastic degrades, and the stacks get soaked.
Plywood covered with tarps/plastic works great for me and might be the next best thing to a woodshed.

Tarps or 6 MIL plastic sheets directly on the stacks never worked for me. Critters chew holes, plastic degrades, and the stacks get soaked.
Plywood covered with tarps/plastic works great for me and might be the next best thing to a woodshed.
It worked for me for enough years that I could start building my shed, but I only have it on there September - April, then it gets tossed into the recycling bin. I did once try to stretch it two years, but UV damage makes it too brittle over a summer.

One thing I learned.....don't use the clear stuff! Six months and it basically disintegrated. It wasnt the thin stuff either.

One thing I learned.....don't use the clear stuff! Six months and it basically disintegrated. It wasnt the thin stuff either.

Im sure it varies by brand and environment, but the black stuff goes even quicker, in my yard. I’ve had clear last two seasons, on a few occasions, the black I’ve bought seems to be shot after six months.

Rubber conveyor belting is the best.

I have some...too heavy, takes 3 men and a monkey to move it.
I usually get the 30" wide variety. I have my wood on two rows of four pallets. Three 30" belts cover the stack and leave the sides to be open. I'll even screw them down if need be.

I use tar paper, and it holds up really well, and is cheap, also looks a lot better than a blue tarp. I use plastic tags marked with a sharpie and screwed to a row to identify when it was CSS.