Covering the stack. How much overhang on a side?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Wondering how much overhang you guys do covering your stack. Doing it with clear plastic this time.

I usually do six inches on all sides and if I have bit of extra I go a bit wider on the upwind side. IMHO The key thing is to put some pallets on top of the pile and cover the pallets so there is still air underneath on top of the stack. Putting the cover directly on top of the pile really slows down drying.

For me it will depend. If is summer and I'm getting the stack to dry dry, it will be 6 to 12" if the stack is about 4 to 5'. If its fall and the stack it dry and I'm going to use the wood for the same size stack will be 3' or more with the sides flaired out and staked. The ends will have 1.5' to let it vent so moisture doesn't build up..

Reactions: D8Chumley
Once my pine stacks are have been sitting for 6 months or so I go almost all the way down on the sides. The ends only a foot or so. A wet week here in the south and the pine can soak up enough to make it unburnable. My hard wood stacks I just makes sure the top is covers, won’t blow off and rain sheds well.