Covid-19 check in - How are you doing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I am wondering how you and your families are doing so far? We have members from all walks of life. Some of us are much more affected than others. I know the teachers here are stressing out quite a bit. This is a non-political question, please keep it this way.

Me, I am retired now and gardening is in full swing. We live in a rural area so going out for walks without contact is not an issue. I am at an age considered at risk. What we miss the most is social contact, but we do see some friends when we get our fresh eggs and are fortunate to have great neighbors to chat with at a distance. My body is getting older. Dealing with a knee injury that is taking weeks to heal, but I am still slowly working my way through projects. Normally this weekend we would be heading north for a big gathering of many friends. This has been a Labor Day tradition for 15 yrs. but it's not happening this year. Too many of us are geezers now. I have seen my creative output drop sharply. I haven't painted since April. Hoping to get started again. I will need to do something to stay sane this winter besides stoking the stove and the internet. My younger son remains unemployed. It is harder on him than us I think as he is staying at home.

Reactions: WiscWoody
I stay home a Lot. But went to BDay Gathering for Friend. Outside. Sure it was risk. We have only 14k in whole county. 40 Cases of Covid. Be glad when it's back to Normal. Also Retired since July 2000. I normally travel and do some photography. Alas this year staying home. Hopefully for my 63rd Birthday next spring I can go visit family or travel and see some sights. https://www.climb-utah.com/Misc/ninemile.htm

Attachments

• IMG_7527a_Monochrome 3.jpg
    IMG_7527a_Monochrome 3.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_7508.JPG
    IMG_7508.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 246
Reactions: begreen
We have been spending our quarantine gardening and building. Our county has low reported cases and no deaths, but we aren't taking any chances. My immune system is compromised so the risk just isn't worth it.

Love steam engines Dataman. That B&W shot is excellent.

Working too much. I work retail, and I reopened the store after two months. I just try to stay back from everyone. I've been working on the house too. Three years of seven day per week. I have the inside painted except for a couple of short walls in the basement. The cabinets, vanities, and counter tops are in. I have about 13 boxes of flooring to lay out of 71 boxes. Window trim and baseboards are started. The wrap around deck is done, but I ended up with leftover deck boards and am adding a step 5'X24' to the front portion of the deck.

The well pump is supposed to be placed next week. I think I have a delivery of a log truck of tamarack lined up, and if it shows up I will start sawing on cool mornings. The veggie garden is doing well. I have been negligent as far as weeding, but am too busy to care.

I was hounded into a wellness check, 68, good bp, cholesterol, and a1c. Was told to eat more as I am about 10 to 15% body fat. No meds, and few issues. And I brush cut my head rather than go to a barber. How many ripped old men do you see?

I’m actually better than ever. Working from home, more efficient here. More time at home to care for animals, garden, yard, family. I’m not a partier so the eased social expectations agree with me.

I’m not happy about people suffering but I hope everyone stays healthy and we keep doing this for a long time. Yet, winter is coming and my optimism might change.

I started working from home as soon as I had a fast internet connection, many years before I retired. But I also went into work 2-3 times a week. There were many benefits to in-person interaction which I enjoyed owing to work with a great team.

Reactions: Highbeam
Not covid related but stuck sitting in pediatric ICU with our 11 yr old daughter. She had a Drs appointment yesterday and her resting heart rate was 168. At the hospital it spiked to 208. It turns out she has PJRT. Which is basically faulty wiring in her heart. So they are putting her on beta blockers to control her heart rate untill she can get into children's hospital of pa in Philly on Thursday.

Not covid related but stuck sitting in pediatric ICU with our 11 yr old daughter. She had a Drs appointment yesterday and her resting heart rate was 168. At the hospital it spiked to 208. It turns out she has PJRT. Which is basically faulty wiring in her heart. So they are putting her on beta blockers to control her heart rate untill she can get into children's hospital of pa in Philly on Thursday.
Sorry to hear that. I know what it is. I have cardiomyopathy with obstruction, well I had it. My HR went from 32 to 188 in seconds up and down. I was fixed at the Cleveland Heart Clinic in 2006.

Working from home since I started at current company. Since 2009. We don't go out much other than supermarket etc. Only thing I miss is international travel. My mother in the Netherlands turned 90 last April; could not visit her. US citizens are still not allowed in the EU.

Sorry to hear that. I know what it is. I have cardiomyopathy with obstruction, well I had it. My HR went from 32 to 188 in seconds up and down. I was fixed at the Cleveland Heart Clinic in 2006.
Yeah for a while hers was bouncing from 40s to 160s and 170s. The crazy thing is she has apparently been living with it for a while because she said she felt perfectly normal.

Yeah for a while hers was bouncing from 40s to 160s and 170s. The crazy thing is she has apparently been living with it for a while because she said she felt perfectly normal.
Me too. It was a birth defect that skips a generation. They found mine "by accident" when I was 41. My deceased brother probably had it too. As well as one of my deceased sisters. Our parents had no issues at all.

Wife just came home from ST Lukes after 2nd ablation 2 weeks ago for afib. After a week heart rate skyrocketed. They decided to do the paddles and shock it back into rhythm. It worked. Thu seems too long to wait(clots) too young for this, best of good medicine.

It's good you brought her in. I'm sorry to hear this. That has to have been a frightening experience for all of you. Hope the meds help slow things down soon.

It's good you brought her in. I'm sorry to hear this. That has to have been a frightening experience for all of you. Hope the meds help slow things down soon.
Her heart rate was normal most of the day but just spiked to 190 again. They havnt started the beta blockers yet though.

I have an adult friend, she is over 60, with very similar arrhythmia. No fun.

I have an adult friend, she is over 60, with very similar arrhythmia. No fun.
And she just acts like everything is perfectly normal. She is pissed off and says she is fine and wants to go home.

We are doing o.k. Thanks for asking.

We are both introverts. My introvert score (Myers-Briggs I) at 16personalities.com was 96%.

Several guys I know also like things this way social distancing-wise. A friend that's an attorney in CT says that he can't see ever going back fulltime in the office.

Have been helping set up for outdoor church on Sunday, but not staying for the service. Just don't want to be in a group of people even with distancing.

Nan was working from home two days a week before COVID. We set up a better workspace for her now that she is fulltime at home.

She has two large monitors on a desk. We are setting up a third tomorrow as the Tour de France started today. :)

We are exercising every afternoon in the basement, and I have lost some weight.

Last edited:
I had ablation surgery done new years eve 2018 for AF
it has made quite a difference in my life. Now they want to do Tevi
to replace a valve. What they can do now compared to 10 years ago
Tell the young lady it does not hurt and in most cases, you are out of
there the same day

Reactions: bholler
For me, life is pretty much normal. I can't complain. We're healthy. I'm working my tush off since it's our busy season. Last month our young company passed last year's numbers. The wife is working from home. I'm working out of my truck. When I see customers, I'll put a mask on. Life goes on.

prayers and all the best bholler.

i've been home most of the time since march. wife has been working from home and goes in once a week until someone shows up in the afternoon then leaves. this has worked out for me so that i could have my right shoulder replaced so recovery is now during this slow part. we are trying to do our parts even tho massachusetts is low with the virus.

Reactions: Highbeam
prayers and all the best bholler.

i've been home most of the time since march. wife has been working from home and goes in once a week until someone shows up in the afternoon then leaves. this has worked out for me so that i could have my right shoulder replaced so recovery is now during this slow part. we are trying to do our parts even tho massachusetts is low with the virus.
I thought Mass was in the top 15?

Since I live up in the woods in a county that officially is ranked as "in control" I havent been impacted significantly as I am bit of recluse. The surrounding White Mountain National Forest is getting hammered with a lot of traffic on the hiking trails and recreation areas and there are a lot of first timers who haven't heard of Leave No Trace so the popular trails are getting trashed. Luckily most folks go online and head for the "best" trails and most popular mountains so I can head to the less well known areas and miss the crowds. Work wise I am busy getting busier. I work from home but the clients in Mass are all in a rush to get their projects going. Looks like another 7.1 MWs of CHP with a possible additional 7 MW long term. The down side is they are all in urban areas of Mass. Luckily they are all in the early stages so not a lot of need to be at the sites as I did the early field work last fall. The early Covid stay at home orders in my state in the spring gave me a big block of time to get caught up with firewood so I am in the best shape in years for wood stacked and drying. Still not where I want to be but a lot closer. Mixed blessing is that I had to bury both my parents (at 97 and 87) two years ago but they were both in assisted living and skilled nursing care. Both were definitely vulnerable and no doubt just the stress from the quarantine would have been too much for one of them. My sympathies to anyone with living parents in a similar situation.

Been using the quarantine time to get caught up on the list of things to do around the house. Currently ~4 years ahead on CCS wood. Been rough for the kids, not able to do usual summer trips/activities. Currently harvesting and canning from the garden. Kids getting back to school, different schedules, small classes. Wife is a teacher, so she is stressed about going back to work also. I am able to work from home occasionally, still need to go in every week.
@PaulOinMA , I will have to take that introvert test, sure I'll ace it!

Status
Not open for further replies.