Covid-19 check in - How are you doing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One tank of gas away from Portland and Seattle. The west coast residents have been showing up buying ammo, and they are from both sides of the protests.

Well one thing I learned . . . hot tubs are in high demand.

We were planning on replacing our broken hot tub as far back as last Fall, but wanted to do some work on the porch first. Didn't realize that there was such a demand for them -- guess folks are spending vacation funds on things like RVs, ATVs . . . and hot tubs.

In any case . . . I should see my new hot tub by January, December if I am lucky.

Well one thing I learned . . . hot tubs are in high demand.

We were planning on replacing our broken hot tub as far back as last Fall, but wanted to do some work on the porch first. Didn't realize that there was such a demand for them -- guess folks are spending vacation funds on things like RVs, ATVs . . . and hot tubs.

In any case . . . I should see my new hot tub by January, December if I am lucky.
I love hot tubbing in the winter, especially on a clear night. Maine has some of the best night skies.

I went to HD to purchase appliances. I needed 2 ranges, 2 micros, 2 fridges, 1 wall oven, 1 washer, 1 dryer and a dishwasher. I was told it would be January before they could supply them. I went to a local store, and the appliances were in stock. No choice of color unless again I wanted to wait until January.

I keep looking at the wood fired hot tubs. You drain them more often rather than treat the water, but i have more water than I can deal with easily. A faucet off the bottom would water the garden. I have too many other projects to finish first.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I went to HD to purchase appliances. I was told it would be January before they could supply them.

Between the hurricanes and cannabis growers, industrial dehumidifiers are selling at a "high" rate right now, and of course production is far behind. Imported mechanical parts like compressors, switches etc are some of the things driving shortages. Guess where they are imported from.

Last edited:
Not covid related but stuck sitting in pediatric ICU with our 11 yr old daughter. She had a Drs appointment yesterday and her resting heart rate was 168. At the hospital it spiked to 208. It turns out she has PJRT. Which is basically faulty wiring in her heart. So they are putting her on beta blockers to control her heart rate untill she can get into children's hospital of pa in Philly on Thursday.
How did your daughter's surgery go, bholler?

Good for her for sticking up for herself at the rest stop...put a mask on, Karen!

Reactions: bholler
How did your daughter's surgery go, bholler?

Good for her for sticking up for herself at the rest stop...put a mask on, Karen!
Longer than expected but well. It was supposed to be 3 to 4 hours but ended up being almost 8. Now we just wait to see if anything shows up on the cardiac monitor. She said she never knew it hurt to breath before but it doesn't anymore. She is also much more pink. We never noticed she was so pale before

I went to HD to purchase appliances. I needed 2 ranges, 2 micros, 2 fridges, 1 wall oven, 1 washer, 1 dryer and a dishwasher. I was told it would be January before they could supply them. I went to a local store, and the appliances were in stock. No choice of color unless again I wanted to wait until January.

I keep looking at the wood fired hot tubs. You drain them more often rather than treat the water, but i have more water than I can deal with easily. A faucet off the bottom would water the garden. I have too many other projects to finish first.
The manufacturing chain has broken down due to employee and parts shortages via Covid. It may be a year before they get back up to speed.

The Snorkel wood fired hot tub is made locally. They have made them for decades. I'm not sure about watering the garden from one unless the water was untreated.

From what I have read about the snorkel stove fired tubs one is not supposed to treat the water. Changing the water often is the preferred method of use. With free water squirting out of the ground, we would just locate the tub between the water source and the garden. Fill and drain by gravity like we do with the cistern now.

Reactions: johneh and begreen
Are there any wood fired hot tubs with a clean burning stove? Seems that most use old school indoor wood boiler style stoves and I suspect this is pretty smoky.

Someone here at work has had it. And someone close by. She's been out for over a week, so I'm guessing the rest of us are out of the woods, but it was interesting how the conversations otherwise here became stilted and twitchy. A lady where my wife works is out (retirement). A busy body resident that had a habit of socializing a whole lot outside. Crossed fingers there also, testing is underway. They are lucky that it's been kept out for the most part, so disappointed that it's starting to show up. My daughter is a intensive care RN, and has seen an uptick in the last two weeks or so. They have a separate area set up now for covid patients, instead of mixed with the other intensive care, so that takes the major stress off all but the ones directly related. Nothing the hospital can't handle, but otherwise just an observation.

Living in the state with the worst results for covid I never really changed anything except having to wear the mask to enter any biz. My biz was non existent for several mo's, folks just didn't want you in the home looking in their fridges. Do not know anyone that caught it but I don't socialize.

With a snorkel stove there is a partition across the tub. On one side are people, and on the other side a stove is submerged. The feed door and stove pipe are out of the water.

My co worker is sick, sounds miserable, but his test results are not back yet. I'm still running on all eight cylinders.

That is interesting. It should be noted that this was with data up through August being compared to full years prior. Or 5 months of data being compared with 12 months for prior years. As noted, it looks like the cases and lockdowns are going up in many of these countries now. If Covid is seasonal, winter is coming. Also, lockdowns and masks are not the first time in history. This was done with the Spanish Flu's multiple waves. It would have been more interesting if South Korea and Taiwan's very low stats were included.
I've read that the Peru situation is due to a very weak medical system compared to Brazil's.
The motivation for this review is obvious. He says it - Why are the pubs closed in Ireland? ;lol

Last edited:
That is interesting. It should be noted that this was with data up through August being compared to full years prior. Or 5 months of data being compared with 12 months for prior years. As noted, it looks like the cases and lockdowns are going up in many of these countries now. If Covid is seasonal, winter is coming. Also, lockdowns and masks are not the first time in history. This was done with the Spanish Flu's multiple waves. It would have been more interesting if South Korea and Taiwan's very low stats were included.
I've read that the Peru situation is due to a very weak medical system compared to Brazil's.
The motivation for this review is obvious. He says it - Why are the pubs closed in Ireland? ;lol
Agreed. We'll see. Will be an interesting winter. Tough to find unbiased reporting, but the perspective , argument and data are intriguing.

Last edited:
Just remember - There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics. Or as Mark Twain once said:
“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.”

Reactions: Sawset and SpaceBus
Did everyone know it takes over 30,000 years to count to a trillion if you count at one number per second? 31 years for a billion and 11 days to count to a million.......put some of these numbers in perspective

Reactions: begreen
just out of curiosity has anyone on hearth have a covid bout???????????

Just remember - There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics. Or as Mark Twain once said:
“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.”
I wouldn't even agree that "facts" are stubborn. Nobody can even agree on facts most of the time.

just out of curiosity has anyone on hearth have a covid bout???????????
There are some folks on the Forestry forum that have had it themselves or have family that have.

Agreed. We'll see. Will be an interesting winter. Tough to find unbiased reporting, but the perspective , argument and data are intriguing.
I wouldn't even agree that "facts" are stubborn. Nobody can even agree on facts most of the time.
So I dug into some numbers to check. Here is what I found for last week. The total number of C-19 deaths for Germany, UK, Canada, Japan, France and Spain were 1,507 for a population of 428 million or 1 in 284,007 people. The total number of reported Covid-19 deaths in the US for that same period were 4,870 for a population of 328 million or 1 in 67,351 people. Why 4x+ higher here?

So I dug into some numbers to check. Here is what I found for last week. The total number of C-19 deaths for Germany, UK, Canada, Japan, France and Spain were 1,507 for a population of 428 million or 1 in 284,007 people. The total number of reported Covid-19 deaths in the US for that same period were 4,870 for a population of 328 million or 1 in 67,351 people. Why 4x+ higher here?
Simple. Here if you're in a crash and test + for covid in the hospital and then croak from injuries, wallah another covid death

Status
Not open for further replies.