Covid-19 check in - How are you doing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I dug into some numbers to check. Here is what I found for last week. The total number of C-19 deaths for Germany, UK, Canada, Japan, France and Spain were 1,507 for a population of 428 million or 1 in 284,007 people. The total number of reported Covid-19 deaths in the US for that same period were 4,870 for a population of 328 million or 1 in 67,351 people. Why 4x+ higher here?
There are several ways to manipulate data, but if anything I bet other countries are under-reporting. The US by far has administered the most number of tests, or at least reported tests. So far based on my perception of events the plague is worse than everyone is reporting, but efforts are high to prevent a global panic.

Methods and criteria for reporting? That's been a criticism all along.
There is definatly a bias with the video above. And graphs and statistics - make your own with cherry picked data for sure. And the varying numbers you found are a reminder of how inconclusive trying to be specific can be given the variables.
What I thought was interesting though, were the general concepts, regardless of their exactness. Pandemic, subsidence, then seasonal recurrence, matchy matchy with previous years and outbreaks (h1n1, swine etc). Will we see a second wave, or is it a natural uptick in "cases". And the national numbers in general with comparisons between lockdown vs no, and other comparisons. All worth further investigation. Unfortunately, we all seem to be left on our own, in a world now with no trusted outlets for answers.
I have my daughter in the covid ICU and a niece nurse nurse practitioner for local answers at least, and for a quick snapshot of whats up.

Last edited:
here's my take.......
I think its something that not a single person really knows what could/will happen. Without a doubt they have let us know that somethings up?? In this situation, I, like you, look for encouragement from hopeful outcomes and not a tragedy like others may be preparing for. Stay positive and Stay safe.

Begreen, to answer your question is nearly impossible...seems strange possibly, but as stated, what do numbers really mean anymore?? There is a few movies that highlight that the general public of the u.s.a. is in poor health. Whats the diabetes ratio in the u.s.a vs the rest?? Again you can play with numbers till they say what your hoping...

Reactions: ABMax24
Wife and I are 'professional hermits'. Works for us and being in rural America also helps. We can be alone with each other, no issue.

There are several ways to manipulate data, but if anything I bet other countries are under-reporting. The US by far has administered the most number of tests, or at least reported tests. So far based on my perception of events the plague is worse than everyone is reporting, but efforts are high to prevent a global panic.
This is not tests, it's deaths. And the countries listed combined population is 100 million greater. I think this may have more to do with lack of national health care which all those countries have and poverty. The mortality rate here for African Americans is high.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
This is not tests, it's deaths. And the countries listed combined population is 100 million greater. I think this may have more to do with lack of national health care which all those countries have and poverty. The mortality rate here for African Americans is high.
There are many dead that must also be tested for covid before they can be added to the count, that's why I mentioned testing. I think there are far more deaths in our country and world wide than is being reported by anyone. The US is a healthcare leader and has some of the best in the world, so if our deaths are 4x everyone else, then think about how bad it must be elsewhere. After living in Europe I can tell you first hand that outside of Germany and the UK, which are still lagging the US, there is no form of national healthcare. One summer in Italy I had to see an emergency doctor and there was a sign on the door that said "Out to lunch" in Italian. I had to wait several hours and see a doctor on a US military installation instead.

Aside from medical imaging our medicine and healthcare techniques haven't really changed much since the 1918 Pandemic. On the bright side the 1918 pandemic effectively ended shortly after mask wearing became virtually universal.

One nice thing about wearing a mask is, if the gal wearing one is ugly, you cannot tell it........ :)

My personal opinion is that the Wuhan Flu will be like the Asian flu, it will never go away entirely.

It irritates me that we track and value the number of cases so much higher than actual deaths.

To push or pull the case count an agency can just do more or less testing. I’ve never been tested. The people being tested self select so you’ll get a higher positive ratio. Maybe that explains the US’s higher case count per capita.

Reactions: fbelec
Maybe that explains the US’s higher case count per capita.
Or maybe more people in the US that are being tested have it
and fewer people that are being tested in other Countries?

Reactions: Prof
Like political polls, I pay little attention to them. All I know is my wife and I have not contracted it, being 'professional hermits' and we do go out we mask up and when we touch anything in a store, first thing we do when we get back to the cat is use hand sanitizer (also disguised as fire starter for the pellet stove.

Way too much hype and too little substance. I myself have more pressing things to worry over, like how bad my corn will be this year.

Or maybe more people in the US that are being tested have it
and fewer people that are being tested in other Countries?

That's what I said. Same thing.

Like political polls, I pay little attention to them. All I know is my wife and I have not contracted it

Or have you? The infection doesn't necessarily cause symptoms. Unless you were tested and lucky enough, or unlucky enough, to not have a false negative you'll never know.

Again, the US has administered more test than any other country, except China if you trust their numbers. Deaths are what I pay attention to because it seems to be a real metric of what is really happening with infections, but the data is about a month behind what is currently happening.

Reactions: Highbeam
Or have you? The infection doesn't necessarily cause symptoms. Unless you were tested and lucky enough, or unlucky enough, to not have a false negative you'll never know.
If we had, I'd think I, myself would know in as much as I'm a cancer survivor and still have a compromised immune system. I was just at the hospital (been there numerous times since this all started) and my temperature is always normal and my oncologist has not pushed me to get tested at all. We don't go anywhere much, just rarely to get gas for the buggy (and I always wear latex gloves when pumping gas in as much as the second dirtiest thing you can touch is a gas pump nozzle (first is cash money).

I'll be at the hospital tomorrow as well. Security is very tight in the cancer wing, especially in infusion. Had a port access today (if you know what that is) and a blood draw. They monitor me constantly. Thankful we have excellent hospitalization, I've used it HARD in the last 3 years.

If I contracted the virus, I'd know it. I'd most likely be one of the statistics. Survivability for me is very questionable.

Reactions: Prof and Highbeam
Again, the US has administered more test than any other country, except China if you trust their numbers. Deaths are what I pay attention to because it seems to be a real metric of what is really happening with infections, but the data is about a month behind what is currently happening.
If I don't have to get the swab shoved up my nose, I prefer not to. I hear it's not overly pleasant.

Reactions: Highbeam
Testing has little to do with the number of deaths when compared to the average of previous years. That is all I am asking about. And note that these are not third world countries being compared. Japan and Canada are included. Many more people are dying here this year than in previous years during the same time frame. And our numbers are much higher than in comparable countries. Why?

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
Testing has little to do with the number of deaths when compared to the average of previous years. That is all I am asking about. And note that these are not third world countries being compared. Japan and Canada are included. Many more people are dying here this year than in previous years during the same time frame. And our numbers are much higher than in comparable countries. Why?
Good question but irregardless, gp get your flu shot and if you are over 60, get the more potent one. There are 2 different strengths.

Good question but irregardless, gp get your flu shot and if you are over 60, get the more potent one. There are 2 different strengths.
Happening next week.

Happening next week.
Good ...... and except my apology for the sometimes misspellings. I'm having an issue with my remote keyboard. Like I said, there are 2 strengths of vaccines. The old peoples one (for me, stronger) and the younger set, weaker.

No point in piling on any more than Covid if possible.

Good ...... and except my apology for the sometimes misspellings. I'm having an issue with my remote keyboard. Like I said, there are 2 strengths of vaccines. The old peoples one (for me, stronger) and the younger set, weaker.

No point in piling on any more than Covid if possible.

the two strengths are they only at the doctors or cvs and walgreens too. i wasn't aware of this. thank you

the two strengths are they only at the doctors or cvs and walgreens too. i wasn't aware of this. thank you
I'm only aware of my MD having it. Don't think you can get it an a drug store, but I could be wong. Don't hurt to ask.

Reactions: fbelec
I just had stomach surgery so I had to get the swab. Negative. There were a couple times I wondered when I had a fever but it must have been my allergies turned into a sinus infection.

Now I’m recovering at home. Hopefully soon I will get my fiber internet and I can work from home most of the week. I’m an introvert but it was horrible when we had a lockdown where I couldn’t leave the county, ride the trails, drive to desolate pretty places.

I do miss my girlfriend but I told her to stay away because her daughter runs around everywhere and refuses to mask. She could pass it to me without knowing and my system is weak right now. Our cases have shot up with all the tourists flooding here over the summer. I even saw Guatemala plates one day.

My niece picked it up in college. She does online classes and doesn’t go out except to work, but her boyfriend and roommates all got it. She’s a couple hours away and isn’t coming home now.

Our town has been doing better than average, but our numbers are going up too. I've noticed on Friday that although people are still wearing masks, they are more concerned about getting their busyness done at the store than maintaining a safe distance. We are seeing high caseloads here at the county level and the hospital staff is wearing out. Fortunately, they're not at capacity yet, but there is considerable concern about a major spike concurring with the holidays that will push them over the limit.

Medic21 how are you faring?

I'm only aware of my MD having it. Don't think you can get it an a drug store, but I could be wong. Don't hurt to ask.
I got mine at the hospital pharmacy, the 'old person dose'. Was ill from it for about 24 hours but I was glad to get it. Monday I'll get a swab Covid Test, required for my upcoming procedure. Wife got her's at the same pharmacy but they were out of the old person dose so she got the single dose instead. Anything is better than a stick in the ear far as I'm concerned.

Good friends of ours have both got it and he's a retired doc too. She's not doing well, he's doing ok. So far, so good here. Being extremely careful and being hermits which is fine with us anyway.

My oncologist told me as soon as it's available to him, I'll get the vaccine. I'm good with that. Sooner the better. Not sure if it will be the 2 spaced injection one or what but I don't care. Just stick me and I'll be happy.

Virus cases are really going up here. Think most of it is attributable to people's getting tired of the distancing and masking. With us, if we go anywhere (rarely), SOP is mask in the pocket to be worn when out of the car, latex gloves when pumping gas and hand sanitizer in the vehicles as an added layer of protection.

One nice advantage of masking is, no one cam see how ugly I really am and by the same token, gals all look good masked up as well. You cannot tell the ugly ones from the pretty ones..... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.