Covid lockdown???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I transported a pt in a ventilator the other day that had Flu, Covid, and pneumonia. The same combination I have seen in the sickest patients since last April.

My Father in law just died from complications of Covid. He was admitted to the hospital with sepsis, put on antibiotics and sent home a day later. A couple days later, he was back in the ER with more discomfort, fever, and nausea. He was admitted and put on IV Vancomycin and Cefepime plus one other drug I can't recall. They did a chest CT and found out he now had full blown pneumonia. The Dr.s also found a large pocket of infection around his spine of that they surgically drained. He was still COVID negative at this point. He continued to be hospitalized and then tested positive for Covid. I think the Covid was the final straw, for an already very sick man.

• Sad
Reactions: begreen
My Father in law just died from complications of Covid. He was admitted to the hospital with sepsis, put on antibiotics and sent home a day later. A couple days later, he was back in the ER with more discomfort, fever, and nausea. He was admitted and put on IV Vancomycin and Cefepime plus one other drug I can't recall. They did a chest CT and found out he now had full blown pneumonia. The Dr.s also found a large pocket of infection around his spine of that they surgically drained. He was still COVID negative at this point. He continued to be hospitalized and then tested positive for Covid. I think the Covid was the final straw, for an already very sick man.
Sorry for your loss.

Both my elderly neighbors are in the hospital as we speak, the old man just suddenly went down the tubes the last three weeks, congestive heart failure and copd from chemical exposure when he was a young worker on a farm and then masonry. The wife was so worked up from her husband being sent to the hospital via ambulance then placed into IC unit that she suffered a stroke during the night while sleeping, she was already pretty frail to begin with.
Its a bummer and I kind of feel like the hospitals right now are very dangerous places for them to be and praying that they manage to recover and make it back home to be in comfort.

• Sad
Reactions: begreen and mcdougy
Sorry to hear of your FIL's passing Sodbuster. These are tough times for the elderly.

Hope the news is a bit better for your family kenny.

The number that hit me the other day was 1 in 820 in the US. That is the odds of dying of Covid. It obviously hits the older folks harder than the younger folks so the odds are worst the older one gets.

My daughter is 19 and physically fit and got it. She just goes from work to home but got it from her boyfriend’s mom. She had it kinda rough for 2 weeks, severe headaches daily, body aches, chest pains, so fatigued she could barely get out of bed the first week. Shortness of breath when she tried to do anything like laundry. The headaches lasted the longest. Her sense of smell and taste is still screwed up, food tastes like chemicals and outside air smells like fish.

My sister’s daughter is 20 and got it last year. She’s not a social butterfly either but got it from her boyfriend. But all she got was barely a sniffle, and temporary loss of smell.

They both live in the city, but the Covid is everywhere up here too. A few coworkers got it, one was in the hospital for a week after his mom died of it. That was around thanksgiving and he still has blood and heart issues and has to take breaks. He was healthy before, avid outdoorsman and never smoked.

I am currently in quarantine. Our employee who is a volunteer firefighter tested positive on wed. After an exposure with a crash victim who they didn't know was positive till a few days later. I got tested Thursday and that was negative but need retested 10 days after last possible exposure.

• Sad
Reactions: SpaceBus
In our county we just lost 2 firefighters and our towns police chief among others. Current count of our customers is 9 dead.

In our county we just lost 2 firefighters and our towns police chief among others. Current count of our customers is 9 dead.
I'm sure nine customers is extremely noticeable. What a tragedy.

1611632680630.png1611632698647.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for your loss.

Thank you for the kind words, like Medic said, he was already very sick, and the Covid just pushed him over the edge. He was confused, wanted to go home, was tearing his IV's out, his mind was gone. He would have been lucky to survive the Sepsis and Pneumonia, then COVID caught him and that was that. There's only so much a human body can take.

Had Covid myself a few months back. It put me down for a couple days with flu like symptoms. The loss of taste and smell was very strange and that lasted about a week. It was taxing on me so I cant imagine it coupled with multiple illnesses. Strangest part of it though was my wife and kid didn't get it. I know lots of other families who have had one member sick and others never catch it. Very strange virus.

Just watched American Experience: Influenza 1918, a PBS show from 1998. Wow.

The numbers killed when the U.S. population was much lower than the current 330 million was staggering.

Think it is available online. Worth watching.

Some people's constitutions are amazing. I have an employee. He has worked at the store since 1956, and is 89. He caught covid a few weeks ago. His family insisted he go to the hospital. They released him two days later, and once again he is bouncing around like a hyper active kid. Life makes no sense.

Both elderly neighbors are home, The man has been home since last week but under quarantine since he was in the Hospital, he's bouncing off the walls and I could see it nearly killed him to watch me through his glass storm door clean his driveway up and area during the snow, normally he's outside with me, his wife just came home from a rehab center, both need each other and its really good news that there home in there house of 60yrs.

Some people's constitutions are amazing. I have an employee. He has worked at the store since 1956, and is 89. He caught covid a few weeks ago. His family insisted he go to the hospital. They released him two days later, and once again he is bouncing around like a hyper active kid. Life makes no sense.
You just stated the one thing that will be studied for decades after this is over.

I’ve seen it kill a healthy 21 year old college athlete and my 82 year old grandma that was a smoker for decades and has COPD was fine in two days.

There is no rhyme or reason to it.

Our daughter is a PICU nurse. during the first four years of it she caught almost every cold and sniffle that could be dished. out. Now that she's been at it a while her immune response is much stronger.

Sorry for your loss @Sodbuster .

The last three or four days the cases have been coming down, NYS opened up a vaccination site at Potsdam State which is being run pretty good.

They have been giving the Pfizer vaccine.
1612490139074.png

I got the vaccine this morning, it was no big deal, signed a few forms, showed my id's and got the shot, waited 15min to make sure I didnt have a reaction and off I went. For those that get the flue shot, this was easier feeling, I did see on the news a few people getting shots and saw what looked like a heavy gauge needle and thought it would hurt more, I couldn't even tell by feeling when the needle was in me, second dose is in 4 weeks.

Which "brand" did you get? Pfizer, Moderna, or AstraZeneca? I understand that the vaccines that require a second dose can be a pisser.

Status
Not open for further replies.