Cracked Glass on VC Dauntless

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SkipperH

Jan 25, 2022
Maine
Yet another disturbing issue with the VC Dauntless. Does anyone have any idea why the glass would crack with no impact nor over-temp introduced to this appliance?

cracked_glass.jpg

Is there a door glass clamp in that area? It might have been a skosh too tight. This should be covered under the warranty.

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 1.23.36 PM.png

Is there a door glass clamp in that area? It might have been a skosh too tight. This should be covered under the warranty.

View attachment 307738
Yes, there is a clamp in that location. I've had the stove for two burning seasons and I can't get through one without having issues (like this) that have/ will shutdown my heat source for weeks. Not happy.

Sorry. That's a bummer. I hope the dealer can get this fixed quickly.

Reactions: SpaceBus
My Dauntless did the exact same crack after 1 month. Probably clamped too tight from the factory. My dealer gave me a replacement out of a display model.

My Dauntless did the exact same crack after 1 month. Probably clamped too tight from the factory. My dealer gave me a replacement out of a display model.
30 years using a Waterford stove no cracks in glass, VC really?
VINO (Vermont Castings in name only).

30 years using a Waterford stove no cracks in glass, VC really?
VINO (Vermont Castings in name only).
I have a large Dutchwest (made by VC) that heated my home for 30 years. Still has the original glass. I'm tempted to buy the few parts that it needs & put it back in.

My Dauntless developed a crack in the same spot, agree that the clamp was probably over tightened at the factory. Submitted warranty claim, dealer said to expect a long wait before receiving replacement. I ordered and received an aftermarket replacement within three days from Woodstove Fireplace Glass. Good fit, like OEM. If I ever receive a replacment from VC, will keep it as a spare.

Reactions: SkipperH
My Dauntless developed a crack in the same spot, agree that the clamp was probably over tightened at the factory. Submitted warranty claim, dealer said to expect a long wait before receiving replacement. I ordered and received an aftermarket replacement within three days from Woodstove Fireplace Glass. Good fit, like OEM. If I ever receive a replacment from VC, will keep it as a spare.
Dealer says they'll submit a claim, but is not covered by warranty, I'm not surprised VC customer satisfaction is lacking.

This just happened to me today. This is the second burning season for this stove. Haven’t had any issues before this. Didn’t overfire, log didn’t hit the glass.. I didn’t even hear it, just noticed it when I sat down after I‘d had a fire going for about an hour. Pretty frustrating. Interesting to see that someone else had such a similar issue, and recently. My crack looks like it‘s in almost the exact spot as yours, just on the other door and it cracked all the way across. I’m thinking the very top bracket is too tight and was putting too much pressure on the glass.

Since it’s Sunday, decided to not bother with warranty and just buy a replacement glass.
Paying the extra $25 for a 3-year warranty on this glass in case this happens again which now I’m thinking seems like it could potentially happen…

Curious what other issues you (and other folks) have had with your Dauntless? So I can be prepared haha

C7EEE63F-9279-4666-978B-F92D434FE5B7.jpeg C1B3F053-80DB-4C3A-9821-402169083868.jpeg

This just happened to me today. This is the second burning season for this stove. Haven’t had any issues before this. Didn’t overfire, log didn’t hit the glass.. I didn’t even hear it, just noticed it when I sat down after I‘d had a fire going for about an hour. Pretty frustrating. Interesting to see that someone else had such a similar issue, and recently. My crack looks like it‘s in almost the exact spot as yours, just on the other door and it cracked all the way across. I’m thinking the very top bracket is too tight and was putting too much pressure on the glass.

Since it’s Sunday, decided to not bother with warranty and just buy a replacement glass.
Paying the extra $25 for a 3-year warranty on this glass in case this happens again which now I’m thinking seems like it could potentially happen…

Curious what other issues you (and other folks) have had with your Dauntless? So I can be prepared haha

View attachment 308832 View attachment 308833
Sorry to hear about your glass cracking too. I'm getting the glass replacement on Tuesday I will know then when breaking the screws loose whether the single screw was overtightened at the location where the crack appears to start. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about your glass cracking too. I'm getting the glass replacement on Tuesday I will know then when breaking the screws loose whether the single screw was overtightened at the location where the crack appears to start. Good luck.
Did you get your glass? Does it appear the same? Did you notice one screw tighter than another? Im really curious if there is a tech manual for VC stoves and torque settings on screws.

Did you get your glass? Does it appear the same? Did you notice one screw tighter than another? Im really curious if there is a tech manual for VC stoves and torque settings on screws.
Yes, I received the glass replacement and when I removed the screws holding the retainer clips I found no significant difference in torque from one screw to the next.

Yes, I received the glass replacement and when I removed the screws holding the retainer clips I found no significant difference in torque from one screw to the next.
Interesting, and thanks for letting me know. Im a bit nervous about this if for any reason due to user error on my side or just bad luck with how a log falls while burning. The other day I was loading in a big chonker at the bottom, a smaller one in front of that then a large one on top of the chonker which rolled forward toward the glass. It was an irregular log that had a protrusion and of course it came very close to hitting the glass. I thought the side flares would stop the log from rolling close enough and they did but it was close. Any stress points like excess screw torque would likely be where I would get a crack.

How long did you wait and how much was the replacement?

Interesting, and thanks for letting me know. Im a bit nervous about this if for any reason due to user error on my side or just bad luck with how a log falls while burning. The other day I was loading in a big chonker at the bottom, a smaller one in front of that then a large one on top of the chonker which rolled forward toward the glass. It was an irregular log that had a protrusion and of course it came very close to hitting the glass. I thought the side flares would stop the log from rolling close enough and they did but it was close. Any stress points like excess screw torque would likely be where I would get a crack.

How long did you wait and how much was the replacement?
It was a good 2-3 weeks as my dealer couldn't get one directly from HHT but found a stove parts dealer that had one. The cost was just over $100 and was covered by my dealer.