Craftsman 2.0/14 chain saw ...chain size ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have this older saw " Craftsman 2.0/14 "and I 'm looking for a chain for it.
I know it is a 14" bar and the pitch is 3/8 ..what is the gauge?
On the bar is 44133 QC over 14 3/8

There should be a stamp at the base of the guide bar with the relevant data including pitch, drive link count, and gauge.

There should be a stamp at the base of the guide bar with the relevant data including pitch, drive link count, and gauge.
This is all there is on the bar
44133 QC
14 ------- 3/8

Find the maker of the bar and those numbers will make sense.
Or measure the grove...

Hmm measure the groove .. in MM or Inches?

You may just have to take the saw to the store and see what it needs.

3/8 pitch ( most common would be .050 gauge drive link and 98% chance it would be 52 drive links long, and more than likely a low pro type of cutting tooth. ( seldom see a 14" with a full size 3/8" tooth on a 14" bar) You can take the old chain and count the # of drive links( hook shape sections on the inside of the loop) type of chain Oregon 92 series maybe- but on the drive links themselves will be a # indication the mfg type. Course if it is a Stilh chain thats a bit different then everyone else numbering wise- for that saw ( which is basicly a Poulan ) it is likely Oregon Chain.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
I read that a quick guide to the guage is use a nickel,penny and a dime.Nickel is close to 63,penny is close to 58 and dime is 50
Dosn't work in Canada anymore we have no cents,or if you look at who is running the show,no sence

I remember there was some discussion of doing away with pennies here stateside many years ago also.

Follow up
I did find the right chain @ Lowes .they sell Craftsman ...

Reactions: Supersurvey
If you have a feeler gauge (same thing you use to set spark plug gap on the saw), you can use that to find your gauge (stick it in the bar to get a rough idea, then double check it against the drive teeth on the chain, in case the bar is worn out).

If you don't have a feeler gauge, you can also get a chain measuring dealie.

Bear in mind that automotive feeler gauges tend not to be as thick as you need for this, but I find that the .020 blade plus the .030 blade is reasonably close to .050, as they're pretty flat.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy