Craiglist Ad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Cottonwood is one of the poorest wood fuels; it does not dry well, and rots quickly. It splits poorly, because it is very fibrous. It produces a low level of energy per unit of volume of wood.[7]

Looks like locust. Here is my 2 year old split 20190315_201058.jpg

Reactions: JimBear
Thank you fellas i'll be on my way up there shortly

Even the limb wood is good on locust if it isn’t punky. High BTUs throughout

Yep Locust. Cottonwood not native to this area. Only here if someone planted it. I lived in that area for a few years. Go for it.

Just got back yall didn't tell me cutting locust was like cutting steel with the saw, sparks flying and all. Had to get my brand new chain i was saving for wet days lmao.
20190316_171619.jpg
20190316_171645.jpg
20190316_151924.jpg

There are about 4 more dead standing ones in dude's back yard that he said i can come cut them if i wasted to.

Just got back yall didn't tell me cutting locust was like cutting steel with the saw, sparks flying and all. Had to get my brand new chain i was saving for wet days lmao.View attachment 242441 View attachment 242442 View attachment 242443
There are about 4 more dead standing ones in dude's back yard that he said i can come cut them if i wasted to.
70 years old, 1928. Old wood. I've never seen a dead black locust before - they seem almost impossible to kill. When they're cut off they'll send sprouts everywhere.

That is definitely Black Locust, good score. I have a huge dead Black Locust in my back yard that needs to come down. Unfortunately this one needs a climber or boom truck to take her down safely. If you can fell those trees safely you might as well get them, that’s some of the best wood you can get. Extremely rot resistant, high btus and it dries faster than oak! Sparks can fly though cutting it, it’s funny to watch cutting it at dusk.

Yea, it'll wear the chain a little. Especially if it's been standing dead. With the house nearby I might pass on those ones.

Cant tell for sure but it looks like both are leaning away from the house...they would come home with me!

Cant tell for sure but it looks like both are leaning away from the house...they would come home with me!
They are leaning away and that's a shed in the picture. I plan on emptying the trailer by before the end of the week so i can head back over there next weekend to get those. Started splitting some to, that's some tough wood.

Reactions: Tar12
They are leaning away and that's a shed in the picture. I plan on emptying the trailer by before the end of the week so i can head back over there next weekend to get those. Started splitting some to, that's some tough wood.
If I had a steady supply of it thats all I would burn....I really like it! Even seasoned it is hard to start from a cold stove but once it does its a beautiful thing! I just always loaded on a good coal bed...no worries.

Its toughness is what makes it such good firewood, ask these guys who cut and split hedge.

So i just got a call from a co worker of mine who just had a locust cut down asking if i wanted the wood, the firewood gods are being nice to me lmao

Reactions: ispinwool
Just getting back from another craigslist run. Ash and elm css year and a half but wasnt covered. He said make an off so i said $40 he said yes. Hour drive lol
20190324_184429.jpg
20190324_184416.jpg

So this elm look like poplar until i picked up a piece and felt how heavy and dense it is compared to poplar.

Reactions: ispinwool