Craig's list score and Wood ID ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I've been checking Craig's List every day for free wood. I found a few but they were not enough wood and/or too far away make it worth the trip. I finally scored the other day. A guy about 2 1/2 miles from me had a bunch of trees cut fall '08. He kept the wood because he has some friends and family that said they wanted it. They never came. It looks like it will end up at about 3 cords mixed hardwood. He even said it would be OK to drive on his lawn to load the truck! I got one load out yesterday. It looks like there's some Locust, some Beech and some of this mystery wood.
0423091755.jpg

0423091755a.jpg

I don't know what it is, but it seems to be fairly dense.
I still have to go back for two more loads. I have to wait a while because the ground is a little too soft right now. My old truck got stuck in his lawn yesterday. I had to call the Mrs. and have her come pull me out with the 4x4 F250. At least the street tread tires on the old truck didn't tear up the lawn, and I only needed a good yank to get going again. I will never buy another 2 wheel drive truck again.!

Flatbedford said:
I've been checking Craig's List every day for free wood. I found a few but they were not enough wood and/or too far away make it worth the trip. I finally scored the other day. A guy about 2 1/2 miles from me had a bunch of trees cut fall '08. He kept the wood because he has some friends and family that said they wanted it. They never came. It looks like it will end up at about 3 cords mixed hardwood. He even said it would be OK to drive on his lawn to load the truck! I got one load out yesterday. It looks like there's some Locust, some Beech and some of this mystery wood.
0423091755.jpg

0423091755a.jpg

I don't know what it is, but it seems to be fairly dense.
I still have to go back for two more loads. I have to wait a while because the ground is a little too soft right now. My old truck got stuck in his lawn yesterday. I had to call the Mrs. and have her come pull me out with the 4x4 F250. At least the street tread tires on the old truck didn't tear up the lawn, and I only needed a good yank to get going again. I will never buy another 2 wheel drive truck again.!

cherry

If your askin about the center log with the bark still on it,,, Cherry..
Nice score!

Yes, the one in the center. The one to the right of that is the same stuff without the bark. I thought it was Cherry, but, next to a known Cherry tree on my property, it looked different. The one I compared it to is a very old tree. The bark of an older tree seems to look a different from the younger ones. I've also seen that with Oaks. Excellent! These trees weren't that big either, all the rounds are of manageable size too. I won't need a ramp to get them on the truck.
I was just about ready to give in and buy next year's wood. Once i get all this home, split, and stacked I am set for 09-10. My only concern is that some of it is cut kinda long. I will be upgrading to a Woodstock stove over the summer, and I read that wood should be 16".

I got the rest of it home yesterday. The ground dried up so I get in and out without a problem. I ended up with three loads that I would guess were about 1 cord each, based on the how full my truck's 7x9x3 bed was. As usual, weight was more of an issue than volume. I've got to get those 39 y.o. springs re-arched.
Stacked it in a single row in the driveway about 40' long by about 5' high.
wood4-30-2.jpg

Mostly Cherry with some Black Locust mixed in. The wood was cut almost a year ago, so it's pretty dry. Splitting it is a little tough, and most will have to be cut down a few inches, but the price was right! I now have enough wood on hand for 09-10.

Status
Not open for further replies.