Craigslist scam buyers? - wood stove -

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
I know there are selling scams but here's my situation..

I picked up a wood stove insert fairly cheap. I had intentions of installing in a garage/woodshop as a stand-alone stove. I spoke with my building inspector and he gave me the safe practices of doing so... Elevate the stove 24" off the floor, keep combustibles more than 20' away.... This was going to be a temporary install until I get a waste oil heater (maybe next season). But, after speaking with my insurance company, they said they wouldn't cover the replacement cost if there was any damage associated with a fire.

So, I listed it on CL for the same price I bought it. I received an email from an individual claiming he couldn't afford the whole price, that he would offer "$ XXX" and that he was "just trying to find a way to keep warm this winter"

My wife and I are well off. We are very humble and contribute to charitable donations constantly. We work very hard and are tired of the handouts given across our state. (she see's it more-so in the healthcare industry). I'm skeptical if this is just a ploy to get this stove fairly cheap with a commitment from me in writing.

Another part of me wants to load this up with a cord of wood and drop it off at this guys house. Maybe he has a family with kids.. Who knows..

This doesn't sound too out of the ordinary for CL. This guy may be telling the truth, but people lie all the time to try and get a better deal. Either way, I would ask for a local phone number. If he is legit, you will be able to check the phone number and talk to him to agree on a price. As long as he doesn't want you to ship it or wire you money, etc. I don't see why you shouldn't keep working with him.

Reactions: brenndatomu
I sell a few stoves every year on Craigslist. I probably get 10 or 12 scammers or long sob stories to 1 legitimate person.
A good rule of thumb: if they want you to contact them through their personal email account, or do not specifically mention the item you are selling, it's a scam. If they use a phone, run the area code, most often it's from very far away..

Its up to you, its pretty much standard that people want to negotiate prices on Craigslist and expect its a negotiating ploy. I agree that talking on the phone is the best approach. The tough part with most folks who don't have stoves and are on a budget is that they think the stove is the only investment. Especially with an insert they need to make sure that it will fit in the opening they have and it may require a chimney liner. Alternatively they just may try to set I up on cinder blocks on the living room floor and run a pipe out a window. If you want to ensure that its going to someone who really needs help its worth spending a few minutes to make sure that he isn't clueless.

On a similar note when I used to search for stationary power tools for my shop I frequently ran into seller who would get a call from someone offering a low ball price, the story was usually they needed the equipment to make a living and could only afford X. There was used tool dealer in the area and eventually I found out that the salesmen spent their spare time going through various sources like Craigslist to stock the showroom floor. I had friend who was a used car dealer that did the same stick to pick up cars that he knew he could dump quick. He would even have his girlfriend call sellers and explain that her boyfriend had dumped her and left her without a car with couple of toddlers. Its too bad that folks will putt this stuff but unfortunately they do.

I sell a few stoves every year on Craigslist. I probably get 10 or 12 scammers or long sob stories to 1 legitimate person.
A good rule of thumb: if they want you to contact them through their personal email account, or do not specifically mention the item you are selling, it's a scam. If they use a phone, run the area code, most often it's from very far away..
Bingo. Very few people I deal with on CL are legit. Buncha phonies

I do a ton of classified buying and selling up here we have kijiji, we have craiglist too but kijiji rules the roost. I will do initial contact through email or text. But I insist on talking before meeting face to face, or having someone come to my home/property. I've learned over the years to have no attachment to a purchase or sale and if anything is wishy washy seeming I end all dealings immediately, otherwise I've found you can waste a lot of time and energy with fools.

But only you can decide what you're comfortable with for a sale or financing someone. But myself I wouldn't do it. I too make charitable donations, on my own terms as I choose to.

Honestly don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you're fairly new to Craigslist.
I have no idea of the guys situation obviously, but if I want 1000$ for something, I list it for 1250. I can almost guarantee if you listed the stove a couple hundred higher you would have gotten the same email.
What are the chances he can't afford the whole price of the stove, but can afford firewood etc.
You and your wife sound like very nice people, but Craigslist is known for lowballers etc, so don't be too surprised by emails like this. Let us know what you end up doing

I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on craigslist from cameras to cars and several stoves. When I sell something I try to price it right for a quick sale. I don't want to dicker a lot on price. If someone is waffling on price I tell them to think about it and call me back. Everything I've sold has sold within a week or less. I time stove sales for Sept or October and ask for cash (or cashier's check if a car). As with any venue, watch out for scammers. Also beware of procrastinators, they can suck up a lot of time for nothing.

Reactions: KimiBwoah
Welcome to CL. I would suggest sticking with your price if that's what you want to get for it. I sell a decent amount of things on CL and could fill up pages with stories. Its unfortunate that we have to question a story when like you said it could be legitimately true. The only thing I promise myself on CL is I wont sell something if Ive promised someone that I have it and they are next in line to see it.

I look at it this way...if the guy is in a tough spot, there are tons of really cheap stoves to be had. They might look like they dropped off the back of a rust train headed to a scrap yard, but if you're poor, suck it up buttercup and keep the kids warm. Thats what I would do.

I would say this "I see there are stoves on craigslist for much less money than mine. Why not settle for one of those?"

Just see where it takes you.

Personally, I'd have way to much pride too tell someone I was in a tough spot or poor and needed a handout. But thats me.

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest piece of advice for Craigslist is go with your gut. If it doesn't feel right it probably isn't right. People will try to dicker you on price, tell them how it is. And always talk by phone before meeting

I always negotiate the price of stuff that I buy on Craigslist. On the other hand, I don't feel the need to embellish the story beyond "I'll give you X dollars for that Y you have listed on Craigslist".

Here's a simple test for your situation: Go on Craigslist for your area and look for woodstoves listed for cheaper than yours. If there are some, then you were right to be suspicious.

Reactions: webby3650
Try this: " my price is firm, sorry I can't help you". And don't look back.

If you make everyone else's problems yours, you will end up with a mountain of problems.

And I doubt that it is anything more than a dickering ploy designed specifically to prey on nice folks like you. Don't give it a second thought. I have run into so many con artists in my life, I have grown sceptical.

There are government programs for people who can't afford heat, and your taxes pay for that. Do you really want to pay twice to keep them warm (even if they are being honest)?

Hi. At the beginning of winter last year I came across an add from a couple that was looking for some firewood, but couldn't pay anything for it as the fella had been laid off work and didn't have enough money to buy any.... I'm not rich as far as money goes, but I'm rich in all of the things that count. I said a prayer asking for guidance, and then followed my gut reaction and contacted them and offered them 2 ranks of fine 2 year dry hard maple that was just beggin to be throwed in a hot stove. It took a few weeks to get organized, as the lad had to borrow a trailer to come get the wood, but come the day the two of them came out, the young fella and his wife. They looked rough around the edges, and somewhat humbled by what they were doing, but by the time they drove off we all had nice smiles on our faces and a good feeling about this world we live in. If you can afford to help this fella, by all means go for it! You'll be rewarded twice for your good deed: once down here on earth you'll feel good for helping out yer fellow man, and you'll get a nice slap on the back in the hereafter by the good Lord Almighty....

Hi. At the beginning of winter last year I came across an add from a couple that was looking for some firewood, but couldn't pay anything for it as the fella had been laid off work and didn't have enough money to buy any.... I'm not rich as far as money goes, but I'm rich in all of the things that count. I said a prayer asking for guidance, and then followed my gut reaction and contacted them and offered them 2 ranks of fine 2 year dry hard maple that was just beggin to be throwed in a hot stove. It took a few weeks to get organized, as the lad had to borrow a trailer to come get the wood, but come the day the two of them came out, the young fella and his wife. They looked rough around the edges, and somewhat humbled by what they were doing, but by the time they drove off we all had nice smiles on our faces and a good feeling about this world we live in. If you can afford to help this fella, by all means go for it! You'll be rewarded twice for your good deed: once down here on earth you'll feel good for helping out yer fellow man, and you'll get a nice slap on the back in the hereafter by the good Lord Almighty....

Yep, and if you believe in such things, go all in, and follow His Words to the T, and give it all away, then wait to be crucified by those that you are trying to help. You reward awaits in the afterlife.

Hold on a second, this sounds suspiciously like the current crop of folks who believe that sacrifice in this life will lead to a wonderful reward in the Great Hereafter.

I prefer "The Lord takes care of those who take care of themselves".

I will concede that it unlikely that this couple took the wood to sell, and used the proceeds to feed their (increasingly popular) heroin addiction. I wouldn't completely rule that out, though, as the scams are getting better all the time. Your description of "rough around the edges" makes me suspicious. Even most poor folk have enough pride to not look like a junkie.

A) I would search for a new insurance company and keep the stove.

B) If I was going to donate/be charitable, etc - I would (and do) do it through reputable local charities, etc. I would consider craigslist just like about every panhandler on the street looking for 'food'... then 5 minutes later they jump in a nice, late model car and drive off, or they are at the liquor store (or corner drug dealer) buying the next round of 'food'.

A) I would search for a new insurance company and keep the stove.

B) If I was going to donate/be charitable, etc - I would (and do) do it through reputable local charities, etc. I would consider craigslist just like about every panhandler on the street looking for 'food'... then 5 minutes later they jump in a nice, late model car and drive off, or they are at the liquor store (or corner drug dealer) buying the next round of 'food'.
No insurance company will insure an insert that's not being used as an insert. It's tested,listed and approved only as an insert. Putting that in a garage changes the game once again, most won't allow a solid fuel appliance in a garage at all.

I've gave many things away to people who need them but my stipulation has always been, I have too know they "need" the item and not just trying too make a quick buck off of my generousity. This usually involves personal knowledge of the person or info from a trusted friend. I'm not taking chances on a Craigslist hard luck story no more than I would the prince that kept wanting to put his money in my bank account a few years ago.

I would be very hesitant to give or sell cheap a wood stove insert to anyone who claimed too be down on there luck. They will run single wall pipe out the window and cut there wood as they need it. I've seen it done way to many times.

Reactions: webby3650
If your in a position to just offload the stove, take it to a habitat for humanity reclaim store. Take the tax deduction and be happy that someone will get it for a bargain price. If you want to sell it then stick to your price. I'm kinda jaded in that FB, Go fund me, and a lot of social media has become the new pan handling.

Reactions: tarzan
Hello all my goodest friends. Allow me to introduce myself herein. I am Mabuto Kali, former Crown Prince of Nigeria. I have the most saddest story to tell you about how my evil Uncle deposed me from said throne. However, herein is the bestest news wherein we can both ally together and be good friends. Since I have been deposed I have need to move my personal fortune of $3.4 million to the United States of America -- the most best country in the world. If you are able to help me, your new bestest friend, by providing me here forth with your bank account, social security number and mother's maiden name I will thank you most heartily by giving you $1.2 million of this amount as a most hearty thank you.

I await your call.

Mabuto Kali
Nigeria

Reactions: KimiBwoah
On the serious side . . . I have never had an issue selling stuff on Craiglist or Uncle Henrys (local swap/sell magazine.)

I've always had a few "rules" . . .

Offer the item at a fair or below market price to allow for a quick sale. The car/ATV/etc. is used, I no longer want it or need it . . . and I simply want a bit of cash for it. I'm not in such dire financial straits that I need to make the absolute best sales price on the item and value a quick sale vs. having to dicker with 20 or so folks and waste my time.

I always ask for a bit more than what I really want . . . and I suspect most folks know this. If I want to sell a car for $1,000 I'll ask for $1,250 . . . with the expectation that the buyer will ask if I would take $1,000 for it. It's stupid, but it works since it's a feel good thing -- the buyer feels as if he or she has been able to get a better deal and the seller gets the price that they really wanted.

I've been straight up and honest with what I'm selling -- there are never any surprises. I list out and show the product with all its flaws and blemishes. Folks seem to appreciate the honesty and when I've bought items I know I've always been more ready to make a purchase when I know the seller is trying to not hide any issues.

Sob stories do not sway me. I'm sorry a person may be down on their luck . . . but that's their issue. That said, if that person can give me a reasonable offer and I'm OK with the price I'll make the sale . . . regardless of their story.

Cash is king. In fact, that's pretty much the only way I've sold the big ticket items. No checks.

You quickly learn to screen out the "I will pay you more than what you are asking" and other suspicious offers involving wiring money.

Reactions: tarzan
Hello all my goodest friends. Allow me to introduce myself herein. I am Mabuto Kali, former Crown Prince of Nigeria. I have the most saddest story to tell you about how my evil Uncle deposed me from said throne. However, herein is the bestest news wherein we can both ally together and be good friends. Since I have been deposed I have need to move my personal fortune of $3.4 million to the United States of America -- the most best country in the world. If you are able to help me, your new bestest friend, by providing me here forth with your bank account, social security number and mother's maiden name I will thank you most heartily by giving you $1.2 million of this amount as a most hearty thank you.

I await your call.

Mabuto Kali
Nigeria

Jake, my apologies! Now that I know YOU are the Crown Prince of Nigeria this changes things. PM sent;lol

Been up, been down

Back when I was younger I got my first wood stove from a guy offering free wood in the penny papers ( pre craig).I used to use the wood for clam bakes.His wife made him throw it out. Hauled it back with my brother, cleaned off the rust, and used it for 30 years

Can't help you evaluate the scammer, but ask yourself are you up or down. If you are up does it really matter?