Craigslist scam buyers? - wood stove -

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
for what it's worth, a majority of the scams on CL involve paypal, fake checks/money orders, shipping . Make sure your ad has these words in bold CASH ONLY ! NO SHIPPING ! NO SCAMS !

Other than flakes that don't show up, I've had good luck with both buying and selling things on Craigslist. Not to make money, just that I have used it as a buyer and a seller.

When selling, I just make sure I know what something is worth, price it right. There are always going to be low ballers. I mostly ignore them and wait for the folks that are serious.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Reactions: firefighterjake
I got my Fishers on CL. $150 for the Mama and $140 for the Baby. I got my big Huntsman for $275 which was probably too much but its a beast of a stove. I'm not getting rid of that one. So if I replace the Fishers with EPA's I'm out a whole $290, and thats if I take them to the scrapyard. If I sold them for $50 a peice I'm out $190

So, I listed it on CL for the same price I bought it. I received an email from an individual claiming he couldn't afford the whole price, that he would offer "$ XXX" and that he was "just trying to find a way to keep warm this winter"

Most people buying woodstoves from Craigslist are just trying to keep warm and it wouldn't be unusual if they didn't have a surplus of cash on hand. I know a number of good people who had relatively small medical issues that put them in debt for years because the medical coverage they had was so inadequate. Or were setback due to an unexpected term of unemployment. Also, some people just make bad financial decisions and end up struggling. That doesn't necessarily make them a "bad" person. All people may be created "equal" in the eyes of the law but that's not to say that we all have equal talents and face the same challenges.

But your question confounds me. A deal is always made between a willing buyer and a willing seller. It sounds like the guy wants your stove. It's up to you to decide how little you're willing to accept. I don't see how anyone here can help you with that. If I didn't want it I might give it away and make someone very happy. But that's me and, yes, it would depend upon the buyer. If you're open to possibly accepting a lowball bid, tell him to come by and make an offer. Otherwise tell him you're planning on selling it for about what you think it's value is on the open market. Nothing complicated here, it's your call.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
I know there are selling scams but here's my situation..

I picked up a wood stove insert fairly cheap. I had intentions of installing in a garage/woodshop as a stand-alone stove. I spoke with my building inspector and he gave me the safe practices of doing so... Elevate the stove 24" off the floor, keep combustibles more than 20' away.... This was going to be a temporary install until I get a waste oil heater (maybe next season). But, after speaking with my insurance company, they said they wouldn't cover the replacement cost if there was any damage associated with a fire.

So, I listed it on CL for the same price I bought it. I received an email from an individual claiming he couldn't afford the whole price, that he would offer "$ XXX" and that he was "just trying to find a way to keep warm this winter"

My wife and I are well off. We are very humble and contribute to charitable donations constantly. We work very hard and are tired of the handouts given across our state. (she see's it more-so in the healthcare industry). I'm skeptical if this is just a ploy to get this stove fairly cheap with a commitment from me in writing.

Another part of me wants to load this up with a cord of wood and drop it off at this guys house. Maybe he has a family with kids.. Who knows..
I've sold about 4 or 5 stoves on craig's list and the old Want Ad magazine.I ask for cash only and they pick it up.If one couldn't deal with that arrangement I politely said they weren't the one I was looking for.All the actual sales went smoothly.

I know there are selling scams but here's my situation..

I picked up a wood stove insert fairly cheap. I had intentions of installing in a garage/woodshop as a stand-alone stove. I spoke with my building inspector and he gave me the safe practices of doing so... Elevate the stove 24" off the floor, keep combustibles more than 20' away.... This was going to be a temporary install until I get a waste oil heater (maybe next season). But, after speaking with my insurance company, they said they wouldn't cover the replacement cost if there was any damage associated with a fire.

My wife and I are well off. We are very humble and contribute to charitable donations constantly. We work very hard and are tired of the handouts given across our state. (she see's it more-so in the healthcare industry). I'm skeptical if this is just a ploy to get this stove fairly cheap with a commitment from me in writing.

Another part of me wants to load this up with a cord of wood and drop it off at this guys house. Maybe he has a family with kids.. Who knows..
Another thing if this person is legit and was having a hard time I would definitely help with his heating situation if I could.