CRAIGSLIST..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim in CT

Jun 24, 2008
southern CT
Now heres a wood buyer with attitude!

Fire Wood...... deliver? Stack? (New Haven County)

Reply to: [email protected] [?]
Date: 2008-09-23, 5:01PM EDT

I am looking for 5 cords of firewood. Please save the your claims of how
expensive its going to be. If you want to gouge..... keep this in mind.

1. There is plenty of wood out there, so supplies are not short.
2. The fuel cost for processing fire wood is less than 10% of a $175 cord. Thats
$17.50, so if your fuel cost doubled (which they didnt) then all you would add
is another $17.50..... not $200.
3. Seasoned firewood is wood that has been SPLIT and then sits for a Spring and
Summer and fall. So if you are felling trees and letting the logs sit for a year
and splitting it 2 months before delivery.... thats NOT SEASONED.

4. Most people selling firewood got paid by some home owner to take the tree
down, so all you firewood gougers are getting paid on both ends.

Anyway..... stop trying to treat fire wood as a commodity. An acceptable price
for seasoned fire wood is $175 a cord. If your beer habit is costing more, maybe
you should stop drinking.

So, who wants to deliver 5 cords of wood to me? I will pay extra if you stack
it.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
Heheheheheheheheh! This guy is gonna be cold this winter with that kind of attitude !

Oh, Lee, you are so cynical ;-) What is the matter with you/ Have you stopped believeing in the tooth fairy??

I know where I'd like to deliver those 5 cords.

So many demands. If there's so much wood out there, they can get it themselves. Clearly this person is not capable, so they have to pay someone else to do it. I have the wood, you want it, I set the price. There's my cost in gas, oil, wear and tear on gear, delivery, overhead, etc. Then there is my time. I expect to be paid for my time. Time to cut, time to buck, time to split. The foresight a year ago to cut, split and store firewood. This person clearly does not understand how supply and demand works and thinks for some reason he's holding all the cards and can offer what he wants to pay and the firewood supplier must take it. He's going to be SOL sitting in front of a cold woodstove this winter wondering why no one would take his offer.

sonnyinbc said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:
Heheheheheheheheh! This guy is gonna be cold this winter with that kind of attitude !

Oh, Lee, you are so cynical ;-) What is the matter with you/ Have you stopped believeing in the tooth fairy??

No, I saw him the last time I was in NYC on Labor Day.

Obviously this guy believes in the wood fairy which I have NEVER seen the likes of.

I myself have been getting some of this same attitude from customers(regular ones , which surprises me). I have been telling them if this business was so profitable they should buy me out at a fire sale price and make $. This usually shuts them up.

caber said:
I know where I'd like to deliver those 5 cords.

So many demands. If there's so much wood out there, they can get it themselves. Clearly this person is not capable, so they have to pay someone else to do it. I have the wood, you want it, I set the price. There's my cost in gas, oil, wear and tear on gear, delivery, overhead, etc. Then there is my time. I expect to be paid for my time. Time to cut, time to buck, time to split. The foresight a year ago to cut, split and store firewood. This person clearly does not understand how supply and demand works and thinks for some reason he's holding all the cards and can offer what he wants to pay and the firewood supplier must take it. He's going to be SOL sitting in front of a cold woodstove this winter wondering why no one would take his offer.

If he is so all knowing why didn't he buy earlier???
Right, his calculations did not include additional costs to the supplier.
If you are nice to people, people are nice back.
Ad screams D-bag to me.

C/S/D = convenience, I don't mind paying the extra for convenience, I also buy my supply early!

I open my facility on Saturdays to the public for people who want to pickup their own wood.
His statement about drinking reminds me of a customer last year.

This guy pulls in and procedes to ask a million ?????'s. He decides which wood he wants complains about the price a little then pays me. He tarps down his wood then comes back over to me and makes small talk. He asks me if I do this just to make some extra beer money. I laughed out loud and told him no. Peoples stupidity blows me away. My repair shop is the first thing you see when you pull in the drive and at 42x84 it's pretty impressive.No one puts up a shop that size just to make beer money.

Processor $100,000
Delivery trucks $285,000
Loader $80,000
Shop and tools $130,000
Customer comment about doing all this just to make "beer $$$$$$" PRICELESS !!!!!!!!!

in indiana that could get done easy but c.t. sounds like a long winter for him!

LEES WOOD-CO said:
I open my facility on Saturdays to the public for people who want to pickup their own wood.
His statement about drinking reminds me of a customer last year.

This guy pulls in and procedes to ask a million ?????'s. He decides which wood he wants complains about the price a little then pays me. He tarps down his wood then comes back over to me and makes small talk. He asks me if I do this just to make some extra beer money. I laughed out loud and told him no. Peoples stupidity blows me away. My repair shop is the first thing you see when you pull in the drive and at 42x84 it's pretty impressive.No one puts up a shop that size just to make beer money.

Processor $100,000
Delivery trucks $285,000
Loader $80,000
Shop and tools $130,000
Customer comment about doing all this just to make "beer $$$$$$" PRICELESS !!!!!!!!!

can u put up a pic of ur shop so i can drool :p by the way you shouldn't make any money you gouger you :lol: j/k

Hum, looks like Jim in CT is just having fun stirring the "pot".

I hope he treats his oil man better than he does potential wood providers or he will freeze this winter. That guy should cut split and stack a few cords of wood himself then maybe he would show a little more respect to woodcutters...

This spring I paid about $220 a cord for partially seasoned delivered (dumped) hard wood, a lot of it cherry, not my first choice. I too have retrieved cut and split about half a cord. Now I'm and old guy, but I say even if I were in my "prime" I couldn't imagine, even if I had drive up to free access to hardwood trees laying on the ground, cutting, splitting, loading/unloading a cord of hard wood for $220. I'm not sure where or how the wood cutters get trees, but if they have loads of trunks delivered then they have to pay somewhere around $80 a cord for the stock, reducing the mark-up to $140 for all their work and wear-and-tear, not a lot of money to pay for expensive equipment (oh yes and fuel, a small part of the whole picture) depreciation and money to live on.

Maybe he's preparing material for a N Y TIMES article about how hard it is to find a non-scrupulous seasoned wood seller.

Jim in CT said:
Now heres a wood buyer with attitude!

Fire Wood...... deliver? Stack? (New Haven County)

Reply to: [email protected] [?]
Date: 2008-09-23, 5:01PM EDT

I am looking for 5 cords of firewood. Please save the your claims of how
expensive its going to be. If you want to gouge..... keep this in mind.

1. There is plenty of wood out there, so supplies are not short.
2. The fuel cost for processing fire wood is less than 10% of a $175 cord. Thats
$17.50, so if your fuel cost doubled (which they didnt) then all you would add
is another $17.50..... not $200.
3. Seasoned firewood is wood that has been SPLIT and then sits for a Spring and
Summer and fall. So if you are felling trees and letting the logs sit for a year
and splitting it 2 months before delivery.... thats NOT SEASONED.

4. Most people selling firewood got paid by some home owner to take the tree
down, so all you firewood gougers are getting paid on both ends.

Anyway..... stop trying to treat fire wood as a commodity. An acceptable price
for seasoned fire wood is $175 a cord. If your beer habit is costing more, maybe
you should stop drinking.

So, who wants to deliver 5 cords of wood to me? I will pay extra if you stack
it.

Seems to me any one who knows this much about wood should also know that even 1 face cord of wood is work let alone 5 cords. If I had the time to cut 5 cords for some one that probably means I don't have a regular job or that I am void of hobbies or domestic responsibilities. Also there are a lot of expenses beside the cost of cutting the wood and transporting it. "Hey" buy the saw and buy the truck/trailer,gloves, boots, chains and sundry other tools and tell me you don't have over head. Oh and did I mention time? Nooo? Ok I'll sell for the price of $175 per "cord" but I'll charge $200 per cord to stack and YOU pay the shipping and transportation. Oh yeah attitude? This person seems split and seasoned enough to burn green wood by looking at it. Ouch...Cave2k

That guy must not know how supply and demand works. In his world the price must always stay the same no matter how
much of a demand there is for wood. I'd like to see someone only spend $17.50 more this year to procces wood than last year.
So what if they sell wood for extra beer money, I'm just upset I didn't think of doing that.

I brought down a 40+ foot dead hardwood tree that had blown over against another tree. This tree "drop" had its risk factors and I used a manual come-along to control the pull down. As I didn't have the strength even with the come-along to pull the tree off of its leaning position, I had to cut the tree in a "mock" take-down method, cutting a hinge - then using the come-along to develop enough force to break the hinge. Interestingly this resulted in the lower section coming free, and the tree leaning against its neighbor just slid down and stuck in the ground. I had to go through this cut and pull three time before the tree came down to the ground. Each of these three sections were about 3' in length.

The point of this story, It took a lot of work and some personal risk to recover about 500 pounds of hardwood fire wood. I still have to haul the 3' sections out of the woods, across a stream to my tractor/wagon. Then to the shed another 300' away and more cutting then splitting and stacking. There's no way I'd do this for someone else for less than $500 and I'd say I'll have no more than 1/3 cord from this effort. That's why I don't consider paying a firewood service $225 (may be more now that winter is almost here) too much to pay. I can even ask myself: "why did I do all this work when buying it is so inexpensive?" I guess the answer is this is "free" wood and I like to see I can can still do it. The tree was far enough back into my woods that I could have let it lean until it fell down someday to add nutrients to the soil, but I didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.