Crane Coal Cooker question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bgreene

Jun 22, 2008
eastern MA
Hi,

I have the opportunity to get a Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 for free. I have a fireplace that I hardly ever use and am considering using it for this purpose. I have the following questions:

- My city requires that I get a permit for it and that its installed according to the installation instructions for the stove. However, I don't have that document. Does anyone know where I can get it?

- My fireplace has the typical vent that I can open or close. How do people install a coal stove in a general purpose fireplace?

- I'm assumming that I can get this professionally installed. What is the typical price range that one pays for this?

Thanks

That is a relatively standard batch-fed coal stove - made here in Ma. as I remember. They were well regarded in the industry.

You might be able to dig up a manual......at that other site - from an owner.

As far as installation into a fireplace, the best job would entail a full liner of the existing chimney- assuming it is an exterior masonry chimney, with stainless steel pipe. This can be flex, rigid or a combo of the two. A block off plate would be installed below the damper - made of sheet metal - with the pipe passing through it.

Make sure you upgrade the liner to one which is rated for coal use. This usually means a 316 grade of stainless steel.

Found this pic of one Crane model on craigslist

Attachments

• crane.jpg
    crane.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,826
No problem. I reduced the file size for upload here.

Attachments

• Crane Manual Model 44.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,074
Reactions: doug crane
Status
Not open for further replies.