Creosote buildup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

They Call Me Pete

Burning Hunk
Nov 18, 2007
CT
With warm temps I let the stove go out and checked the stovepipe/chimney and clean it. This is what I found in the pipe but where pipe enters chimney is cleaner. Stove ran but not up at normal temps and the let it go out. I normally run stove at 450-500 stove top temp. Is this a normal amount ? Also oak I’m burning is seasoned but still has a bit of moisture in it. Might be a contributing factor. Will be into dryer maple/cherry very soon FC8D2800-4EDB-44C4-844C-072A632CD5F5.jpeg

Reactions: Slocum
That's a heavy build up, time to clean the whole system, burn hotter and use drier wood - all things you just pointed out

I see some glaze in there as well, make sure you get that out as well.
How much moisture in wood?

Last edited:
Clean it and burn a little hotter, maybe small hot fires till it gets cold. At least you keep up on it, with weather like this and not burning very hot you can get this. I'm probably a little to concerned with creosote but I check mine every few months. I didn't really even need it but I sweeped the chimneys out the other day the fires died and it was 45 out. Better to stay on top of it than.

yah, hissing wood is something you don't want to hear ever. Get a moisture meter, split a few open and see what you got, im guessing it's over 30%.

I've been burning some wood that's 33% as a test to see what my pipe looks like after 2 weeks. Hissed and pissed for solid 15-20 minutes. That pipe wasnt nearly as bad as that. I just ran it hotter as stated until coaling stage.

Most burners season oak for 3 years. You've seasoned yours for 6 months. Hmmm.....

Most burners season oak for 3 years. You've seasoned yours for 6 months. Hmmm.....
It was split last fall as I said in previous post. I also thought if you run your stove at high temps for a long period it should burn off any buildup.

Last edited:
It was split last fall as I said in previous post. I also thought if you run your stove at high temps for a long period it should burn off any buildup.

It would burn off what's in your stove, but that practice could lead to a flue fire too.

Normal operation usually sees fly ash at the stove breach, and creosote formation at the very top of the chimney or in the cap. In between, there is a varying degree from fly ash to creosote as you go up. Over time, the line in between them can drop lower & lower and the 'upper buildup' up can get thicker. So there will be a point where a hot fire that might not have hurt anything early in the season, will be enough to light your flue up later - a simple gust of wind at the wrong time (when you have the door or bypass open) can be all it would take to suck flames up to meet the creosote. Then it's roman candle & excitement time....

OK your oak is a year seasoned. This wood has a high moisture content and should be set aside to dry out (2 more years). Do you have any other wood that is dryer? Lowe's sells a moisture meter for $20. Firewood should be 20% or less moisture content. Stick the meter's probes into the middle of a freshly split piece of firewood.

You've got to get ahead on your firewood - that is, processing wood this year for a couple years down the line (except oak - 3 yrs). The biggest mistake in wood burning? Burning wet wood.

Last edited:
Should be no hissing. Any at all would mean it's too wet.
Not to hijack this thread, but i have some red elm that was spit and stacked last december that has been testing around 19% and it sometomes hisses a bit. Absolutely not mosture coming out the ends, but it can be heard. Whats up with that?

2018 Pacific Energy FP30

How and where are you testing?

So I discovered that my ceramic baffle in my Heritage is almost non existent. Thinking this could be a factor in my buildup as stove isn't using secondary burn. New baffle kit is on its way

Reactions: Woody Stover
I'm burning 25-35% wood in my setup right now (I don't recommend at all). I have to watch the stove constantly but I burn hot, have an uninsulated pipe and have less build up. Just cleaned it and had less than a 1/8 cup overall.

I would would run hot till your dry stuff cycles in. Just make sure you watch the stove so it doesn't get too hot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

No most burners do not season oak for 3 years. Most are lucky if their wood gets a year. Not saying that is right but that is how things are normally.

And simply saying 3 years doesn't mean much. Normally I have no problems getting oak under 20% in a year. But this year was so wet that my stacks that are 2 years old and top covered actually went up in moisture content. We are seeing tons of problems caused by wet wood this year even from customers who are usually good.

No most burners do not season oak for 3 years. Most are lucky if their wood gets a year. Not saying that is right but that is how things are normally.

And simply saying 3 years doesn't mean much. Normally I have no problems getting oak under 20% in a year. But this year was so wet that my stacks that are 2 years old and top covered actually went up in moisture content. We are seeing tons of problems caused by wet wood this year even from customers who are usually good.
I feel like everyone from Michigan to the east coast has been suffering from less than desirable MC. Seems like lots of threads and chatter this year about creosote buildup, clogged caps, etc.

I feel like everyone from Michigan to the east coast has been suffering from less than desirable MC. Seems like lots of threads and chatter this year about creosote buildup, clogged caps, etc.
Yes very bad year for sure.

I hope everyone is just keeping a better eye on things and trying to burn hot when possible. With these warmer temps I have just been having short hot fires to take the chill out of the house. I figured it is better than dialing the stove back to about nothing just to keep it going. I’m using more kindling and matches but until it gets cold what are you supposed to do.

Sounds like it's a busy year for sweeping back east.

I have swept twice already. The pipe has been ok but the cap is getting pretty funky pretty quick. On top of it I’m burning 100% oak with 50% 4yr css and 50% 2yr css. Warm weather, less than ideal wood, and trying to choke the stove way back is a recipe for a dirty pipe. Small hot fires It is until real winter hits. If it does.

We just had another inch of rain yesterday. Wettest year on record for CT last year and this year looks the same so far. Thinking I'm going to cut up pallets and mix in with my "seasoned" wood

We just had another inch of rain yesterday. Wettest year on record for CT last year and this year looks the same so far. Thinking I'm going to cut up pallets and mix in with my "seasoned" wood
I’m in southeast CT and my backyard where I drive the truck around to process wood has been some degree of soppy for the last 3-4 months. Times where I can get back there with the truck has been sparse with all the rain.