Creosote on Glass Doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodburner said:
Note to HearthStone owners...the IR coating is on the outside, not the inside! I use wet soggy newspapers and ashes when the glass needs to be cleaned. Usually about 2 times a year.

I stand corrected, good call.

MountainStoveGuy said:
Woodburner said:
Note to HearthStone owners...the IR coating is on the outside, not the inside! I use wet soggy newspapers and ashes when the glass needs to be cleaned. Usually about 2 times a year.

What the heck is "IR" coating? Now I'm worried that my glass was put on the wrong way when I replaced my glass gaskets!

Question for the experienced burners: How well does creosote build-up in the firebox, that you can see, reflect the build-up in the flue, that you can’t see? My firebox is clean and I have very little build-up on my glass. Is this a strong indication that my flue is relatively clean as well? I’m not going to skip a post-season cleaning but, as someone else mentioned, I’d sleep a little better.

You can tell somewhat from the firebox, usually if a person burns too low a temp the firebox is just as coated with 3rd degree as the chimney. Normal usage though in my opininon requires looking at the flue only to determine the extent of build up. I usually check from both sides too. Sometimes I run into a flue with more build up towards the bottom than the top and vice versa. I also agree that Rutland is one of the best glass cleaners out there. Speedy white is good too it takes a little more scrubbing but its' good to wipe down the entire stove hearth and I can personally vouch for the fact that Speedy White will remove roof tar from baby blue carpet.

Todd said:
MountainStoveGuy said:
Woodburner said:

What the heck is "IR" coating? Now I'm worried that my glass was put on the wrong way when I replaced my glass gaskets!
Infrared
Its a coating that hearthstone uses to reflect more heat back into the firebox to get more complete combustion, i think it also helps keep the glass clean because my glass usually only collect ash.

I have been using the Rutland glass cleaner with silicone. It is thicker than the regular Rutland cleaner kind of cream like. I use a small amount on a damp 3x4 cheap kitchen sponge works very well, after I go over it once I rinse the sponge out in the sink and then wipe it off one mote time with the clean sponge for super clean glass. I keep a small decorative can off to the side with the cleaner and sponge in it so I always know were its at.. Also this is VERY IMPORTANT keep a supply of the cheap throw away vinyl or latex gloves on hand this stuff is harsh on the skin, your finger tips will be cracked and sore in no time if not (boy do I know that) Had to steal my wife's good hand cream for a week to make that right again!! I just use one glove on my right hand when I clean it now and a heavy glove on the other hand to hold the door if its to hot.

I had the same problem till I found Imperial Clear Flame glass cleaner. I put it on let it set for a minute and it wips right off.

I use paper towel and water with ashes, followed by windex. Funny thing, sometimes it works like magic, other times I need elbow grease. Sometimes I don't need the ashes at all. The water works better than Windex, and I use the windex to remove the streaks.

I used to use oven cleaner -- that's bad stuff! If you have any overspray, it will take off the black stove paint.

Alright, I'm converted. I will now use ash instead of stove cleaner. It works perfectly to get the baked on grit off. I don't mind streaks so I don't bother with Windex or anything.

I've been using "cheap" oven cleaner for several years with no problems. If you get a little overspray on the painted surfaces and leave it, it will lift the paint but not if you wipe it off. I spray it on wait a minute or two then wipe off with paper towels, usually takes a second application on tougher spots. Has done no harm to glass or gaskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.