creosote question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepie

Dec 2, 2007
elmira, new york
i cleaned the chiminy yesterday,,clay type,,and had a glass looking creosote about 3 ft or so down--i usually have crust at the top about a half inch by mid winter,,also only a few feet down---this fall i added 2 ft to the chiminey---but what is the glass looking stuff--it did not come off as easy as the crusty stuff last year,,as a matter of fact it was not peeling off, just scratching it---its about 1/16 of an inch at the worst spot at the top--should i be worried? please help--am i still safe??---thanks

I have always heard that the glaze stuff is from too much moisture in the wood. The other thing I hears is that it would need to be greater than 1/4 inch. My old insert into the 13 x 13 terra cotta would glaze but I used rutland and it broke it down.

I OPENED my SS chimney from the bottom yesterday and there was 6" of crusty creosote on it..I then brushed it a few times and I got about a 1/2 of a coffee can I would say

Status
Not open for further replies.