Crushed stone instead of pallets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffee

Nov 1, 2007
Western Ma
Thanks in advance! Can you stack firewood on crushed stone instead of pallets?

You sure can. The benefit to pallets is they allow for airflow under the wood. Stacking on stone will slightly slow the seasoning process, but should keep the wood from getting punky, so long it is in an area that drains well.

Thanks Dude, that makes sense. This would be under cover of some sort of shed, if I can swing it.

We use stone (gravel)...gave up on pallets 15 years ago.

Next year I'm'a'gonna put some crushed stone under my pallets to level them out. With the wood stacked on them the pallets tend to sink into the ground on one side or the other.

stome souds better to me

I'm going to go with gravel and piled wood and only stack the wood I'll burn for the winter.

John one thing with a gravel pad you can make some huge production numbers if you split along side it...cause as you split it you're throwing it up on the pile on the return stroke. People don't realize how much time is used handling/moving/stacking wood before ya burn it. Piling eliminates tons of time otherwise spent on handling.

A long time ago our old timer neighbor that use to farm with horses told me about it...I resisted for years but finally got frustrated by my rows continually falling over. Piled wood on a 10x30 or bigger gravel pad has a pleasant rustic look to it until late in the fall we frame it out with saplings and make a walk in tent structure with very large tarps. You can get away with that out in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.