Cultured stone attachment around a woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Builder Bob

Feb 27, 2007
Joelton, TN
Can construction adhesive be used behind cultured stone on dura-rock near a woodstove? I was talking with a mason and he said that they sometimes used const. adhesive on the stones instead of buttering the back and sticking them to the scratch coat. Wouldn't the heat from a stove be bad for the adhesive? Off gasing, or potential fire hazzard? I know it is not as flamable when dry but I would think it would still be a no-no, not to mention I have not seen this by the mfg companies.

Sounds like a corner cutting technique. Literature that I have read about cultured stone installation use mortar. I think you are correct, I'd do it the traditional way with mortar and not with construction adhesive.

When I built my hearth, I was told to use only non-mastic mortar because of the heat so I would definitely not use anything like liquid nails. Also, wouldn't the heat soften and deactivate adhesive?

Get yourself a couple of tubes of that stuff NASA uses for the space shuttle tiles...can't be all that expensive. :cheese: Rick

Construction Adhesive should NOT be used with cultured stone. Mortar is the king. Not only that, but think of how the joints and spaces between the rock are going to look if not filled with mortar.

I'm not sure, but I also would suspect that construction adhesive would not be considered a "non-combustible" . Just a thought.

FWIW, I just spoke with a friend who's a master brick & stone mason. He's done a lot of work for me, and these days does more stone than brick. Built a good many hearths, fireplaces, mantles and such. Says he doesn't even carry construction adhesive of any kind to the jobsite. Rick

Thanks for the replies, this is kind of what I was expecting. I was not comfortable thinking about my woodstove humming along then start smelling the glue or worse yet get too hot and potentially go up in smoke.

Rick, I will check on the NASA high temp adhesive and try to find out how much for a tube! :p

In addition to stink and combustion I would worry about the dang stones falling off and landing on your head, the stove, or the tile work of the hearth. You could certainly make it look good with mortar applied as grout after gluing them up.

Construction Adhesive can out-gas at high temps, definitely stay away.

I have cultured stone behind my freestanding stove, from the hearth all the way up to the top of the cathedral ceiling - about 12 ft.
It is attached directly to durock with type 'S' mortar (no mesh) and it has given no problems for 2 years now.

The stone is a dry-stack style, so no mortar goes between the joints.
The durock is laid sideways, making a 5 ft wide backing, set out one inch from the wall with spacers. Using corner pieces at the edges it looks like a stone wall integrated with the house.
You want to do it right the first time, cuz putting that stuff up is quite a chore!

The surface will be durarock on 3-5/8" metal studs around the stove and the sloped ceiling above the stove. I plan on using a ledge/drystack stone when I do install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.