Cup of Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

English BoB

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2014
Brunswick NY
Cleaned the chimney today, this was after burning 24/7 last winter as much as possible. Only used 1/2 tank of oil.

bob

Attachments

• fall 2015 (640x478).jpg
    fall 2015 (640x478).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 303
I cleaned mine 2 years ago and got just about a cup of powder and that was the last time I gave it a good cleaning.

At least you cleaned your chimney. Most folks do not even bother until it is too late.
Try to burn more seasoned wood....

Reactions: Wisneaky
That looks like some big black crap not the fine brown powder

That's the same type of bucket my dad uses to clean his chimney. He gets about that much when he cleans 2 times a season. By that I mean about half a bucket mid season and half a bucket at post season clean up. It's all fine black powder in dad's chimney.

I think Bob is having some fun with us. I bet that came from the fire pit in the background.

Lots o chunky, Me thinks you could do much better than that.

Texas teacup.

While in Italy, when I asked for a nice expresso.
This is what they served me!!! All in Italian.
"American expresso for you"

And I am only your northern cousin.

Me thinks u have a bit much there. Unless u have a 50 ft chimney.........LOL Not NEARLY that much in mine after an entire season.

While i agree it is to much for one season it is also not all that bad. I will have to take some pics the next time i clean a bad chimney. I did one a few weeks ago that i took 25 gals out of. The worst i have done so far has been 65 gals. They had 38 feet of 12x12 clay liners all but plugged shut the whole way. It took 3 of us 2 days.

Reactions: Wisneaky
Last year i burned 5 cords or more of wet wood... Well some was dry at the start. But most was above 20% some oak beech birch in a cord i had delevered over 28%.... I was having a hard time getting ahead last two years. I used that powder stuff to clean the chimney... I would hear it fall into the stove when i started a fire... So i cleaned it out... I would say with all the stuff that fell out with that podwer and what i got out at the end of the season was still less than that...

However i did leave the air open for alot longer with the wetter wood and wood add new stuff before the stove pipe dropped below 300. Lots of playing around and tending to the fire. But with wet wood and less buildup than that i did good.

This year i am in alot better shape and working on next years wood.

Well there were a couple of things going against me :

Thanks to this site this season will be a little different.

1. Wood has been drying longer last split tests were 18 - 20% range after two years.
2. Burn temps were taken off the steel chimney stack above the stove. Now I have a thermometer installed next to the cat. - Thank you Mellow.
3. Cat had crumbled and was blocked- replaced and a complete clean out has been done.
4. Read the stove manual - never understood how and why the stove worked, ie cleaning cats etc.
5.Will monitor burns more carefully as there are so many changes.
6.Morning loads were done as I walked out the door without giving the fire a chance to a good start.

Iam Looking forward to a happy and safe season burning season and I wish you all the same and thank you all for the advice and time you spend helping others.

bob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.