Current price of cut/split cord in your area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eureka

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2018
NW Wisconsin
Just curious what the market prices are around you for cut and split firewood, green or "dry".
I'm close to the Minneapolis / St Paul area and I cannot believe what some guys are selling wood for on Craigslist. One had me rolling today offering a "fireplace cord 4'x8'x16" delivered for $220 on "sale" from $230 original price. "2 Years Seasoned" Some guy thinks he's going to fool someone into thinking that's a deal? That's right a cord only costs $660 delivered ;hm

I'd say most of the listings are around $120-150/ face (1/3) cord. Cheapest thing I have seen is a guy with a firewood processor and a huge mountain of splits selling it for $160/ full cord picked up. Another guy selling fresh cut and split full cord for $220. That's the only fair prices I've seen.

This is just what I've passively seen on Craigslist and wood heat is very commonplace up here. Plenty of rich fools in the Twin Cities to buy it so I guess I can't fault the guys that are doing it successfully.
I'm not looking for cut firewood, I do it myself but I keep my eye open for various other things and always see wood listings.

I paid 200/ real cord (128cuft) green, cut and delivered. I split it.

I live in Central NY, prices vary quite a bit from one supplier to another. Most get more to deliver it. None of the suppliers around me sell wood that is truly seasoned, by that I mean cut and split for 2 years minimum. Best you’ll get is semi seasoned. Also you need to be careful there’s always scammers selling undersized cords, rotten wood, soft woods, etc, and they all tell you it’s seasoned (BS!) An experienced wood burned can tell the difference. Buyer beware, as always.

The guy I use has been selling firewood for many years, you can go look at his operation, see the wood, etc. He charges $450 for a dump truck that ends up being 5 face cord delivered, semi seasoned. (Split about 10 months ago) this includes deivery.

He also sells a 7.5 face cord truckload for $550 Semi seasoned, and delivered. This load gets me through the winter, with the addition of wood I scavenge. The final option is 11 facecord for $750.

All his wood is 16” length and quality is consistent. It’s a mix of hardwood (cherry, ash, sugar maple, a little oak, and some beech.) His quality is consistent but price is high. I’ll be ordering soon so that I can stack it and finish seasoning prior to next winter. He uses a processor so you get all different size splits.He stays about a year ahead so as stated it’s semi seasoned but will burn in a pinch as delivered but not optimally.

I know this is a long post but he will also cut logs to length if you prefer, and split it larger for furnace chunks. But this would be on an as needed basis so your looking at green wood.

E50A2734-8500-480A-AA1C-E597B0249132.jpeg I lived in the twin cities all my life until I moved here to Sawyer County Wisconsin 9 years ago. Up here you can buy a face cord cut just cut maple from loggers logs for $75 or you can pay $100 a face cord for red oak C/S 3 year seasoned in Hayward, u-haul. Most up here will process their own wood and either scrounge for it or buy a truckload of loggers wood for $80 a cord delivered but you have to do the cutting and splitting yourself. Our yards here are big and it makes it easier to do it that way. Here’s some I bought a few months ago. I scrounge for most of my wood though.

I paid $840 for 5 cords of ash with some cherry and birch mixed in. $250 for a cord of red oak here. $800 if you buy 4 cords.

In Eastern Ontario $ 350 to 375 for a cord of Red Oak ,Sugar Maple mix
cut and split delivered . Up from 300 last year . I process wood off my own property
last year the total cost for 10 cord cut and split was 244 $ not including my time
but I am retired so it is my keep fit program cheaper than a Gym

Cords of split hardwood on CL right now start at about $150. I'm confident I could get a delivery for $175. It would most likely be a little short and definitely would be wet. Still at that price its worth buying if I ever have to. Seen better deals in the off season.

Up in the Northern NH its rare to see a full cord of hardwood cut, split and delivered for less than $200 with $225 pretty average. There are logging firms that will sell full load of logs for much less and on occasion they may split a load but not a lot of folks interested in storing, bucking and splitting wood.

I have woodlot that is in desperate need of thinning so all my wood is "free". Of course if I figured in equipment, consumables and my time my wood is definitely isn't free.

I have woodlot that is in desperate need of thinning so all my wood is "free". Of course if I figured in equipment, consumables and my time my wood is definitely isn't free.

Wood prices are part of the reason I don't want to commit too many $$ towards wood hauling and processing equipment. Prices and purchase of equipment, the maint, storage and the work itself involved in processing a cord make buying wood appealing even though I've never done it. If I ever find that my current chainsaw, and hand tools aren't enough pretty sure I'll start taking deliveries.

Wood burning is definitely a lifestyle choice. Anyone getting into it on a strictly economic basis is in for surprise. I have rarely bought firewood over the years and the vast majority of my wood comes from trees that are in the way or need thinning. Thus I have some gear that I would own anyhow. At best I may max out at 4 cords a year if I burned wood exclusively and less by using my minisplit to supplement. I am always looking for an excuse to get some exercise and since my woodlot is nearby, its a nice diversion. I dont mind hand splitting. One thing I don't own is a hydraulic log splitter. At 4 cords a year at most its hard to justify with the species of wood I was cutting (maple whitebirch ash and occasional cherry). This could change with my shift to Beech but I am going to give it a year or two and keep an eye out for a deal on a splitter or split one between a couple of folks.

Same here in many ways. I hand split and enjoy it mostly. Been able to keep myself in wood with what drops in my immediate area.

I'm just saying if the local supply dwimdled I wouldn't go out and buy a truck, splitter, another saw and larger tractor to process wood I could have split and delivered for less then $500 a year.

NE PA split, delivered per cord $175 average. Found as low as 150, and as high as 200. Of course that is everything from "sun cured" to "seasoned" (salt and pepper to taste) or dripping. I guess no firewood sellers make enough to buy a moisture meter.

Same here in many ways. I hand split and enjoy it mostly. Been able to keep myself in wood with what drops in my immediate area.

I'm just saying if the local supply dwimdled I wouldn't go out and buy a truck, splitter, another saw and larger tractor to process wood I could have split and delivered for less then $500 a year.
In Rochester MN it seams to go for 280 a cord I called the keln dry company they charge 500

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Seasoned wood valued at 200/cd is equal to #2 fuel oil around 1.50/gal or LP at 1.00.

We all know those numbers are never coming back.

Note that in my area there is large winter sports industry with seasonal homes, lodges and condos and in the summer there are many campgrounds in the area. A dealer can invest in some packing equipment and sell bundles of dry firewood and get the equivalent of $500 plus a cord. On busy weekends, the biggest problem is keeping the bundles in stock. Generally the most successful dealers are the ones that sell dry campfire wood so why sell it for less when there is pretty reliable bundle market?.

Down here in North East TExas, $150 - $225 full cord, You have to state you want seasoned wood , there lots tree trimmers folks around this area because we have lots trees and storms pass thru and up root trees and tear off limbs so always supply wood . Its supposed to get DOWN to 29 this late Saturday and Sunday, so i will haul up a load to my porch today be ready for the BIG FREEZE . I will also make a trip to the "beer store" .
I have a renter of one my buildings and he is a "trimmer" and keeps me in good wood.

$275.00 for a full cord of 'seasoned' hardwood from a local timber company with a 2-cord minimum.